Differences between US and UK lingo

yunghungtop

As for British speak, I learned the hard way that 'pants' generally tends to mean undergarments (they prefer the word trousers to mean outerwear). I actually made the situation worse by pointing out that by definition, all slacks, trousers and shorts are pants, but not all pants are slacks, trousers etc. Pants in the UK is basically our equivalent of panties, but in a less gender-specific usage.

Lingo differences are not confined to cross-border examples. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I found out that their city has SEVERAL terms that I had never even heard of anyplace else on the east coast. The TV show JAG always produced a riot of laughter every time someone said the words "JAG officer" because 'jagoff' is the Pittsburgh equivalent of wanker. My neighbor never spoke to me again after I called her Mrs. Nebshit (which is what my partner called her, I thought it was her real name)... turns out neb in Pittsburghese means nose, nebby means nosey, and nebshit means nosey bitch. I don't even want to know what she called my New York ass after I yelled "Hi Mrs Nebshit!" all the way across the street, lol.

Funnily enough, I'm in the UK and we use "neb" here. I always thought it was just a northern thing. My mother will refer to the neighbours "nebbing" in through the windows or over the fence etc - i.e. being nosey/peering in.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any slang for small cock?

Pecker is probably the most common/obvious one I can think of. You'd usually call someone a pecker as a not-massively-insulting insult, which is just like calling someone a "dick" really except that it's a small dick...

"Knocking off" for an affair? I've not heard Americans use that. E.g. Prince Charles was knocking off Camilla behind Princess Diana's back...

Knob has been covered - what about "knobbing" (fucking)?

Or has anyone suggested "slag" yet? Meaning slut/tart etc. That's a very common one, but I don't think that's an American word either...

Neb is the Scots word for nose, but it is common in Ulster and seems to be used in northern England too. Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh was heavily settled by Ulster Scots ( the Scotch-Irish ), so I guess that's how it entered the local dialect. I can't think of British terms for a small penis, but using the childhood names such as "winkle" or "weewee" might convey the right attitude. "Tiddler" would work too - if the intention is to humiliate.

Damn. Hot thread. Cammed with a UK guy once. Just love the terms, "mate", "arse", "wank" and arse. If anyone has seen Queer As Folk (UK Version) they use lots of british terms as well. I also like how some UK guys call us "dirty american boy". That's really hot. Would love to get fucked by a british top.

*makes a wish list*: Scottish, British, German, and Russian

• 1 month later...

My best mate lives in NJ and loves some of the expressions i come out with, he calls himself an AmeriEnglan as he picks up som of my sayings. hers a few, you may know already, apologies if repeated.

Arse about face - This means you are doing something back to front.

Bang - Nothing to do with your hair - this is a rather unattractive way of describing having sex.

Bees Knees - This is the polite version of the dog's bollocks. So if you are in polite company and want to say that something was fabulous, this phrase might come in handy.

Blow me - It is simply an exclamation of surprise, short for "Blow me down", meaning something like I am so surprised you could knock me over just by blowing. Similar to "Well knock me down with a feather". It is not a request for services to be performed.

Cockney rhyming slang - There are lots of words that make up cockney rhyming slang. These are basically rhyming words like "butchers hook" which means "look". If you are in London and you hear someone talk about a Septic they are probably talking about you - because it's short for "Septic tank" which equals "yank", which is our word for an American.

Narked - In the UK you would say that someone looked narked if you thought they were in a bad mood. In the US you might say that someone was pissed. We definitely would not say that, as it would mean they were drunk!

[Pants -[/u][/b] This is quite a new expression - I have no idea where it came from. Anyway, it is now quite trendy to say that something which is total crap is "pants". For instance you could say the last episode of a TV show was "total pants".

There was a great discussion about this on Datalounge.

An American was finding it offensive when a Kiwi was calling an Australian a silly bugger.The American was quite offended and told off the Kiwi.

But Bugger in English has really lost it's original meaning. It can be used even as a term of affection and in Australia older Australians will use it rather than say Damn.

It is sort of how some younger people say that is so gay when really instead of being intentionally insulting to gay people I think they mean that is lame.

Funny how language changes over time.