New Handling For URLs

rawTOP

• Administrators

As many of you know, there's been a problem with spam in private messages here on the site. So, I'm implementing some changes that affect both private messages and forum messages.

First, you'll see the message "[think before following links]" before URLs.

Second, there will no longer be an actual link you can click – you'll just see the URL. You'll need to copy and paste the URL to go to the page. Which means links will look like this…

[think before following links] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmxVgx1LO77mPwr8r__FQ3g

That said, if it's on my list of trusted domains, there will be a link you can click along with the note to think before you click…

[think before following links] https://bbbh.com

[think before following links] http://rawtop.com

If you want a domain added to the list of trusted domains, reply to this thread and explain why. Twitter and Instagram are on my list already. YouTube will not ever be on the list because there is a way to exploit certain YouTube URLs to have them direct you to another site.

That said, YouTube video URLs will continue to embed the player. And tweet URLs will continue to embed the tweet. Here are some examples…

A YouTube embed…

A tweet embed…

In both cases you paste the URL, wait a moment, and the URL will be replaced with the embed.

Just remember on tweets the account can't be marked as containing sensitive media or else the embed may not work properly. The account (not just the tweet) has be completely PG-13.

Hopefully this will put a dent in the spam that's been happening on the site.

🤞

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators

I should also mention that I've improved the handling of how problem IP addresses are handled on this site and on my other sites. Without going into too many details anyone who is caught doing something harmful here or on my other sites will have their IP address banned from my entire server for at least a year.

I'm especially strict on IP addresses from China. I ban them by the 100s every month. Before I started all this I had about 40% bot traffic on my sites (bots that execute Javascript, not including the good bots like Googlebot that just crawl and index pages politely). Now that number is under 5%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• rawTOP unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

i embedded a link in a recent reply with the link icon at the top of the reply window, but when i checked the post i realized the link was not activated. although the post doesn't make much sense without the link, i am blocked from editing the text and adding the url to the reply... is there some way for me to fix this? 

also it seems safe to assume that embedded links are off limits on breeding zone, correct? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.