Knowing When Fiction Stories Have Been Updated

Guest BreedMeInVegas

• Administrators

While you're all thinking about it, let me describe a scenario and tell me if this is the best way for stories to work…

1. You want a sort option in story sections of the site that lets you sort the thread list by the last update of the original poster.
  2. Posts where the original poster quotes someone else, don't count as an update (since they're replying to a comment, not adding to the story).
  3. At the top of the thread page it would help to have a toggle button that would enable you to hide everything that's not a non-reply from the original poster – so all you see is story posts.
  4. To make #3 work, you'll need "endless scroll". Pagination doesn't make sense since a page may have no content if none of the posts on a page are non-replies by the original poster.

Do I have that right? Is there anything you'd want added or changed to that scenario?

What I can do (in a few months) is write a read-only version of the story sections. It would be set up on the sites where the content would eventually be moved. It would pull the data from the BZ database and display it in the manner outlined above. But to comment you'd have to come back to BZ. It's actually a nice phase one for moving the content (though the full move would be 2+ years off).

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

If I follow this correctly, this will help fans of fiction follow their favorite stories. 
 I would prefer to not click on any fiction, even if I have to block all fiction to do so.

Correct. I'd only do what I spelled out above for the fiction sections.…

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the trans fem and straight content on the site (including their fiction sections – 0.9K & 0.3K threads respectively). My experience with the straight section on here makes me reluctant to continue those sections. The sexual dynamics with fem content (straight and trans) are problematic, IMHO.

As far as not wanting to see fiction at all… Just don't go there. And for those of you who've gotten infractions for posting in the wrong section on of the site, this is why we're so strict about that.

• Upvote 1

Guest BreedMeInVegas
On 1/9/2020 at 8:30 AM, rawTOP said:

While you're all thinking about it, let me describe a scenario and tell me if this is the best way for stories to work…

1. You want a sort option in story sections of the site that lets you sort the thread list by the last update of the original poster.
  2. Posts where the original poster quotes someone else, don't count as an update (since they're replying to a comment, not adding to the story).
  3. At the top of the thread page it would help to have a toggle button that would enable you to hide everything that's not a non-reply from the original poster – so all you see is story posts.
  4. To make #3 work, you'll need "endless scroll". Pagination doesn't make sense since a page may have no content if none of the posts on a page are non-replies by the original poster.

Do I have that right? Is there anything you'd want added or changed to that scenario?

What I can do (in a few months) is write a read-only version of the story sections. It would be set up on the sites where the content would eventually be moved. It would pull the data from the BZ database and display it in the manner outlined above. But to comment you'd have to come back to BZ. It's actually a nice phase one for moving the content (though the full move would be 2+ years off).

Option Number 1, which I'm sure is a challenging option from the programming side of things, is also much more simple and straight forward then my original band-aid style of proposal!  Then when you throw in Number 2 which sounds like an added enhancement to Number 1, I find it hard to beat that sort of masterful solution.

Perhaps the read-only site would be a great way for non-members to be able to read some of the stories and attract them to the site, and maybe you could also limit the amount of a story they could read before having to join the site.  It sounds like stories would still be able to have comments which is great, because even the most simple replies like "Hot", or "Can't wait for the next chapter", certainly help inspire the author to keep posting and adding to the story.

Before joining the site I used to browse the stories sections, and I believe at some point a couple of the story sections were hidden behind the login wall so only site members could access them.  When that happened, that's when I joined so I could see them again.  I think at some point I should contribute in the hopes of entertaining others as I have been entertained by them.

Regardless, thanks for simply looking into and contemplating this which is awesome by itself.  If you decide to implement something, then I will be excited to see what is is, and how it all works!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.