NEW FEATURE: Map of logged in members

rawTOP

User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?

• I don't like it. It reveals too much about me, etc.
    • I like it the way it is.
    • I want it to show screen names.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JizzDumpWI

My pin is probably 40 miles off. But I only "infer" it is my pin - there are two showing WEST of Milwaukee. I am North. So for location, it doesn't expose at all. I agree though, having username pop up over pin; would be great.....

It uses the known lat/long of your IP address, not any location data from your phone, etc. So it can't really be fixed (very easily).

There are only a few cable companies in the UK, so it's going to show unreasonable clusters of members at their hubs (I'm even showing up in a different country!). I liked chestercub's idea of using enough of a postcode to give an approximate location... more work , I know, but why be merely very good when with a little more work you can be excellent?

Nice feature. I think rather than having the username on the map, it should have the ability to initiate an anonymous chat with the user. That way, the user can decide if they want to reveal their identity, and you could also contact non-registered people. Also I think some added randomness to the pin-point would be appreciated.

I think the map is cool, but really wouldn't want my address showing, but don't mind a user name attached. The accurracy of these maps is such that they are "off" by some distance, and any unexpected "drop ins" (should they try it), will find your neighbor (could get unpleasant!)

Guest JizzDumpWI
wow im dumb never knew that i like it and now i know but it is real off of where i live idk if its my falt tho

We really don't know WHO is actually participating here. I rather like that the pointer is only in the general vicinity (in my case within 40 miles) and not pointing to the top of my house... As far as value, if we don't know the screen name of the pin; I'm not sure how this helps. Maybe an additional search by proximity (eg: w/i some number of miles of zip code nnnnn) would be a good feature to have.