Would taking PrEP lessen symptoms of "fuck flu"?

Those of you who know the science of ARVs and what happens in the body during initial HIV infection…

If someone got infected and then started taking PrEP say 5-7 days after infection, would that lessen the severity of the flu-like symptoms of initial HIV infection? I'm thinking maybe… PrEP would slow down (but not stop) the replication of HIV, which would lower viral load. And a lower viral load should result in fewer symptoms because there's less for the body to react to. Correct? Or am I missing something?

Another related question is whether the handful of guys who got infected while on PrEP (or the ones who tested neg when they went on, but had been recently infected) had flu-like symptoms or did they just find out they were poz at their next HIV test? If none of them had fuck flu, then that sorta answers the question.

Of course doing that risks resistance to the ingredients in Truvada, but my understanding is that particular resistance doesn't last – you lose it after a while. (Which is one of the reasons why they picked Truvada as the first drug for PrEP).

• Like 1

I was infected while I was on PrEP. I know I was negative when I started PrEP. Never had any fly like symptoms. My next HIV test came back inconclusive. After a few more rounds of tests over the next 6 weeks, it was confirmed definitely as positive.

• Like 3

To take PrEP would more than likely lessen it rather than being a block for the fuck flu.   Another thing to is that not everyone who got Poz had that flu, so it might not be as much of a necessity as you think.  I'll have to see about doing a poll on here to see if there's been any changes in recollection about those who got the flu and became poz, or didn't get the flu, but still got pozzed anyways.

Edited by nekofox
Fixed a word
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nekofox said:

To take PrEP would more than likely lessen it rather than being a block for the fuck flu.   Another thing to is that not everyone who got Poz had that flu, so it might not be as much of a necessity as you think.  I'll have to see about doing a poll on here to see if there's been any changes in recollection about those who got the flu and became poz, or didn't get the flu, but still got pozzed anyways.

I suspect once the fuck flu sets in, it’s too late to try to mitigate the effects. 

The polls I’ve seen over the years regarding fuck flu were all roughly 1/3rd no symptoms, 1/3rd mild symptoms, and 1/3rd severe symptoms. I’d be happy with just knocking it down a level — mild instead of severe, or none instead of mild.