A Question for Men of Color

ErosWired

It might be worth asking the men of color in this community what they need to support them (both right now and more long term) in a more open ended way.

Racism and injustice isn't suddenly acute, it's always been been that way. All that varies is how visible it is to those of us who don't live under its crushing oppression every day. I think about how wearying and aggravating it must be for people of color to have the rest of us suddenly seem to notice racism only when yet another of these egregious killings takes place. Only to then take some token action that almost certainly doesn't drive an outcome that makes people of color safer and more equal in how they are treated.

With that in mind, my default position is to amplify the voices of men of color and be quiet unless it's at the behest of these same men. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackrobe said:

It might be worth asking the men of color in this community what they need to support them (both right now and more long term) in a more open ended way.

Racism and injustice isn't suddenly acute, it's always been been that way. All that varies is how visible it is to those of us who don't live under its crushing oppression every day. I think about how wearying and aggravating it must be for people of color to have the rest of us suddenly seem to notice racism only when yet another of these egregious killings takes place. Only to then take some token action that almost certainly doesn't drive an outcome that makes people of color safer and more equal in how they are treated.

With that in mind, my default position is to amplify the voices of men of color and be quiet unless it's at the behest of these same men. 

Excellent post.