Resistant PrEP HIV strain

I don't know if there's names for different strains or how researchers would keep track of it. 

Resistance happens when a poz person is taking HIV drugs, but not consistently. I've seen a graph and it's kind of like a bell curve. If drugs are taken almost all the time the drugs work and the person is undetectable; if drugs are taken rarely then the drugs don't do enough and the virus doesn't need to react. If the drugs are taken like 40-70% of the time that they're supposed to be taken then that's usually when the virus will mutate to get around the drugs. Sometimes it will just mutate to resist that one specific drug. And sometimes it will mutate to resist an entire class of drugs. (There's 7 classes of HIV drugs based on what the drug is designed to do. None of the drugs so far can attack the virus itself, so all of them are about making it harder for the virus to replicate itself in the body. Like one class changes the outside of T-cells so HIV can't recognize it and another class changes the behavior of T-cells so an infected cell spits out protein gibberish instead of clones of the infecting virus.) And it's possible to develop multiple resistances, either at once or over time. I don't know how many possible strains can exist but I know there's enough possibilities that I'm glad that's not my profession lol 

I think doctors might check a newly infected patient to see what drugs are options, but they might just do guess & check with pills instead of testing. 

• Like 1

If I did get a prep resistant strain, I'd be one loud and proud cock about it! I'd tempt all the local prep sluts with that fact, and see if they have any regrets fucking me. 

Of course I'd be responsible with such a toxic cock

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitten said:

If I did get a prep resistant strain, I'd be one loud and proud cock about it! I'd tempt all the local prep sluts with that fact, and see if they have any regrets fucking me. 

Of course I'd be responsible with such a toxic cock

I would not have any regrets if i get a prep resistance strain. don't care either if a guy does it on purpose. know it's out there and know that there is a chance to contract it. it's not going to stop me from barebacking and taking poz loads

5 hours ago, Kimberley said:

I would not have any regrets if i get a prep resistance strain. don't care either if a guy does it on purpose. know it's out there and know that there is a chance to contract it. it's not going to stop me from barebacking and taking poz loads

Hot I'm been chaseing need poz tops let some looads go 😉

• Moderators

Here's a relevant article:

[think before following links] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30503324/

The scientific description of the specific mutation is:

"The HIV genotype revealed Met184Val, Leu74Val, Leu100Ile, and Lys103Asn mutations in reverse transcriptase, and the phenotype showed susceptibility to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and resistance to emtricitabine."

Because viruses with this specific mutation are quite rare (the authors of the other study cited above could only find 10 cases of true PrEP failure in the literature), it wouldn't be considered a "strain", just a mutation that was observed in a few patients.

• Like 2