Viral Load Terminology

If this is in the wrong area, please feel to move or remove.

There is a lot of talk here about viral loads.  Are HVL (high viral load) and UHVl (ultra high viral load) medical terminology, or just terms used by the poz and barebacking community?

If they are actual medical terms, what are the ranges for each term?  I know that under 50, is undetectable, so what are the baselines for the other terms?  And, what were your VLs when you were diagnosed as being positive?

I’ve seen guys say they had a VL of over 10 million.  I’ve also read that you can be pozzed by a VL as low as 370.  So, it would be interesting to get some official VL catagory numbers.

There are some guys who are in the medical field on here, along with some truly intelligent users who have dived deep into the subject.

Thanks in advance.  Again, move to another area if if it should go somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

As far as I know, and as far as my research can tell me, the term "ultra high viral load" is not a defined medical term and I do not believe it is routinely used in the medical world. Rather, I have seen references to "Extremely high viral load", referring to a patient with a viral load of over 1 billion (which is exceptional).

Ordinarily, "high viral load" begins around 100,000 - at least as far as what's called the "baseline" viral load, or what the viral load was before treatment begins. Baseline is the level measured when someone tests positive who is then expecting to go on meds more or less immediately. A "high viral load" of over 1,000,000 is not out of the ordinary for an HIV infection that has gone untreated and effects on the body may be progressing rapidly.

Treatment usually knocks that down dramatically even in the first month. Anything below 10,000 is considered a "lower viral load" and while it's not ideal, it does mean that the virus is somewhat under control.

So, unfortunately, there aren't "standard" terms for all ranges. Even the term "undetectable" has shifted in recent years, from 50 down to 20.

As of now, then, "Undetectable" means a VL less than 20.

"Detectable" means above that level.

"Lower viral load" is anything from barely detectable up to about 10,000.

There's no real term for people whose viral load is between 10,000 and 100,000. That could be because it's very hard to stay in that range; either you're on treatment and you'll be undetectable or nearly so soon, or you're not on meds and your viral load will likely spike over 100,000.

"High viral load" is from 100,000 up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1