Prep on short occasion

miticax

I will be traveling to Germany in few months and as a married bi I might be considering some bathhouse visits while there.

Now I'm reading that you can take PrEP for quick short fun like to have a few days of protection and really that's all I need.

Plus in my country we don't have PrEP so the questions would be:

1. How do I get access to some pills just for this occasion?

2. What would be the protection duration and how should I take the pills.

I can maybe go to a sex clinic in Germany but otherwise I won't be able to do much checks...

Thanks all!

I'm not a medical practitioner, but I understand PreP takes 7 to 21 days to be fully effective, so you'd need to take it for a month before your trip to be safe. You'd also want to take it for some time after to be absolutely sure.

1. you need a doctor‘s prescription.

2. Take 2 pills Minimum 2 hours before your first sex. Then daily one pill (every 24 hrs) until 2 days after your last sex. E.g last Sex on Sunday, than also on Mon and Tue. Recomendation: Take first 2 with food around lunch, then first sex at night should be safe. Then always around the same time one pill. Me: Still neg. after several years….

I can’t help with where to get PrEP, but the official on demand in Scotland is double dose the day before (can even be effective 2hrs before sex) and continue taking 1 per day until you are 2 days clear of sex. I do this all the time with no issues.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, miticax said:

I can maybe go to a sex clinic in Germany but otherwise I won't be able to do much checks...

To protect your own health and that of your partners, you have to have health checks done, before you take PrEP. The blood-work only takes a couple of days max to be proces by a lab. So your idea to use a German health clinic is smart.

If you don't you might contribute to the development of viral-strains that are immune to PrEP if you already are HIV-infect when taking PrEP.

18 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

@RubberAustria is right about how to use it for "on demand" dosing (which is best for your purpose). More information about how it works is in this topic:

This.
And use the regular road through a doctor / health center to get your proscription so you have the proper tests done as well. 

the whole prescription thing is a deal breaker, will probably have to pay for all the tests in germany + the cost of medical check, and the consultation part would be tricky given I'll be a foreigner asking a german doctor for the prescription, I don't even know if that would work, cost aside.

4 hours ago, miticax said:

the whole prescription thing is a deal breaker, will probably have to pay for all the tests in germany + the cost of medical check, and the consultation part would be tricky given I'll be a foreigner asking a german doctor for the prescription, I don't even know if that would work, cost aside.

Even on PrEP you still run the risk of catching STD's like Gonorrhoea and Syphilis.  
And as a married bisexual man, unless you don't have sex with your wife anymore, of giving those to her. 

Is PrEP available to you in your own country, wherever that is? 

Can you open up to your wife, about having sex with men?

And if you are already having bareback sex with guys, how does this protect yourself and your wife against HIV and other STD's?

I get a sense you are here fishing for clandestine ways of taking PrEP medication, and that's a bad idea. Cost aside...

Edited by Guest
added info and opinion.

I don't like you acusing me of something that is not real.
You have to understand that for other countries is not that easy to just go to a doctor and just get free prep.
Very good for where you live but the reality is that prep is still smth new and not available everywhere.
Your accusation of clandestine sources is pointless, a simple search will show you multiple LEGAL options to just buy the pills. 

17 minutes ago, miticax said:

You have to understand that for other countries is not that easy to just go to a doctor and just get free prep.
Very good for where you live but the reality is that prep is still smth new and not available everywhere.

PrEP is not available for free in the country I live in.
That's one of the reasons I'm not on it.

17 minutes ago, miticax said:

Your accusation of clandestine sources is pointless, a simple search will show you multiple LEGAL options to just buy the pills. 

In all European countries and the USA - as far as I know - the drugs in PrEP are not 'over the counter' so selling them, or getting them without a prescription is not legal. 

I'm also sorry I've made you feel, I was accusing you. That was not my intention, nor my point.

Legality aside:
I was repeating my point of view that the testing before starting on PrEP and having it prescribed by medial professionals are for the good of your own health, that of your sexual partners (including your wife) and to safeguard that the HIV-virus does not mutate so they become resistant to the anti-retroviral drugs in PrEP, that are also still used as treatment so people don't develop AIDS.

Edited by Guest
removed capitalisation as I do not want to sound cross.

20 minutes ago, miticax said:

PS

If it's that so, why post the question here, about how to get the medication?
I'm not accusing you of anything, but your story sounds a bit strange and not very consistent to me.

And I would advise you not to import the drugs, especially if you live outside of the EU. Importing drugs that weren't prescribed to you will at the very least cost you a large fine in hard Euros when you get caught 'smuggling' them. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, miticax said:

I don't think there is any reason to believe that getting medical care as a foreigner in Germany would be difficult. Expensive, perhaps, difficult, no. Foreigners in Germany surely get sick all the time, and I would not expect preventive care that is the standard care in Germany to be different even if it isn't available where you come from. I recommend doing a web search for clinics in Germany (preferably in the area where you will be) and trying to get some real information. They will probably be happy to talk with you and tell you what is and is not possible. They might even be willing to tell you what it will cost (which, believe me, would be nearly impossible to find out if it were the US!). Or if you know anyone living in Germany, you could ask them.

I did a little web searching and found this site to give a lot of info that looks useful:

[think before following links] https://wise.com/us/blog/healthcare-system-in-germany