Has Monkeypox eradicated the need to talk about sexual risks and protection ourselves?

Just like during the Covid-19 outbreak, our local health clinics (GGD's) in The Netherlands have stopped or strictly decreased screening for HIV and STD's.
I also noticed that the last posts made in the 'HIV Risk & Risk Reduction' sub-forum was on July 31; On August 8 in the 'PrEP Discussion' sub-forum, respectively. 

Why is that, or has this finally stopped all of us to having sex altogether? 
Has the risk of HIV and STD's mysteriously gone away?
🙃

I am concerned about a rise of STD's and HIV-infections that will go on untreated for too long.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only speak for myself...haven't stopped having sex and haven't stopped barebacking. I think a lot of guys have gotten freaked out about it and the last time I went to Spa Castle it was pretty dead there. University started back up so I've been hooking up more with guys there than guys at the gym or on the trail near me. I got my MP vaccine today as I'm going to Corpus Christi for the weekend and wanted to be able to play and relax without worrying about MP. I guess we'll see if guys are willing to hook up or aren't on account of MP.

• Piggy 1

one thing to note is that HIV diagnosis amongst gay men have declined and that is due to increase usage of PreP.  That being said, statistics have shown that STD rates (non hiv) among gay men have risen & I believe the reason being is that with increase usage of PreP more gay men are going BB but also not actively screening for STDs. I also believe that PreP has also led to men taking more risks in terms of sex and doing things they may not have done before (I.e. orgy, cum dumps) and big risks means more exposure to STD. 

My partner and I have changed some of our hookup behaviors since Covid and now MPX. We have stopped going to BB parties and the baths and have kept or sexual partners to group of guys we know, which lucky for us is enough men that we don’t get bored and have variety. We have limited our hookups with new guys for now. In addition, we have been on top of getting our Covid booster. My partner is a nurse and when MPX started to pop up, he warned me that it’s going to get worse and before outbreak started to accelerate we already got our shots. We also regularly get tested for STDs every 2-3 months. 

I am all for guys being more sexually active but wish more of us were on top of our health in terms testing. 

2 hours ago, NudistBBBLK said:

one thing to note is that HIV diagnosis amongst gay men have declined and that is due to increase usage of PreP.  That being said, statistics have shown that STD rates (non hiv) among gay men have risen & I believe the reason being is that with increase usage of PreP more gay men are going BB but also not actively screening for STDs. I also believe that PreP has also led to men taking more risks in terms of sex and doing things they may not have done before (I.e. orgy, cum dumps) and big risks means more exposure to STD. 

My partner and I have changed some of our hookup behaviors since Covid and now MPX. We have stopped going to BB parties and the baths and have kept or sexual partners to group of guys we know, which lucky for us is enough men that we don’t get bored and have variety. We have limited our hookups with new guys for now. In addition, we have been on top of getting our Covid booster. My partner is a nurse and when MPX started to pop up, he warned me that it’s going to get worse and before outbreak started to accelerate we already got our shots. We also regularly get tested for STDs every 2-3 months. 

I am all for guys being more sexually active but wish more of us were on top of our health in terms testing. 

I agree with your conclusion about regular testing for STD's and HIV.
Not just for gay and bisexual men like us, but anyone really who has varying sexual partners and especially if one enjoys practicing anal penetrative sex with them.

It's not just PrEP that helps in fighting the HIV pandemic, it's also the regular testing as you say AND getting treatment so if someone gets infected the virus becomes undetectable and chances of passing it on then is basically zero percent. PrEP is a game changer for many of us but the testing and treatment are also necessary. Personally I feel that we need a working vaccine to actually stop this pandemic and we also need a cure for the some 40 million people in the world living with HIV and Aids. 

Joining in Orgies and BB parties - I actually only had sex with one man at a time and some threesomes (which makes me sometimes feel almost like a virgin on this website *que Madonna*) - and other wilder stuff is still on my bucket-list actually.

I'm not familiar with the statistics you refer to about rising STI's.
I only know of the studies that conclude that because regular testing is part of a PrEP regime, the number of infections actually dropped because diagnoses and treatment prevented more infections by people who unknowingly had an STD.

Although I applaud the sense of responsibility in our community - like you and your partner demonstrate - all-in-all I hope we can shift the focus on fighting viruses (HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis, just as much as Covid-19) and bacteria (Gonorrhea, Chlamydia etc.) and not normal human sexual behaviour.. 

I don't think monkey pox has altered the way we think of the prices we occasionally have to pay for exercising our Lusts.  It's merely a newcomer to the list, and we need to accommodate it accordingly.  It's just "one more thing".  

We've all known for decades that there are illnesses, diseases that come right along with wanton Breeding with many men.  It doesn't take "many" either - it only takes one to pass on a bug.  Some men will simply stop fucking other men, or steeply restrict what sex they have.  Some men will be irresponsible, and pass bugs along without a second thought.  Most men, however, are responsible, take steps to minimize their risks of contracting these bugs by taking the appropriate medications and staying on top of the testing regimen. I have chosen to be responsible (or, as caring) as possible, and still exercise my sexual proclivities.   When I pick up an unwanted "souvenir" , I wait the required period before resuming my sexual life.  Each guy needs to figure out where on that spectrum he falls, and hopefully have a care for his fellow barebackers.  I think the key is testing more often, thus catching these bugs early, and treating them early. 

I just was at my 3 month Prep checkup yesterday and the Physician told me point blank that he is seeing TONS of guys coming in with not only 1 but BOTH MP shots and they are contracting MP. Even being fully “vaccinated” He told me flat out from the data he is witnessing daily that the MP vaccinated guys are still just at risk. It appears it may be similar to the early days of Covid vaccines when we were all told, that if we got the COVID vaccine we would NOT get Covid. Well we all learned that was not true.

• Like 1

Has anyone else experienced that it wasn't possible - or very hard and much later - to get an appointment for their regular STD/HIV check-up, due to the clinics time spent on organising the MP vaccination?

2 hours ago, Want my 1st cock said:

It appears it may be similar to the early days of Covid vaccines when we were all told, that if we got the COVID vaccine we would NOT get Covid. Well we all learned that was not true.

I wasn't told this and am aware that the Monkey Pox is a different virus that Smallpox is it makes sense the Smallpox vaccine doesn't work as well. 
Just like with Covid-19-vaccines if it lessens transmission and serious illnesses it's still a good thing.

1 minute ago, hntnhole said:

No, not at all.  The regular schedule has been maintained, and if there were any difficulty, it never impacted me.  

Thanks. This might possibly be a local or national problem here in The Netherlands.

I really need to emigrate to a country with better healthcare.
Besides reducing testing for HIV and other STD's, apparently I live in a Western European country where Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières has to be flown in to help asylum seekers. 

Well, I have a good idea:  move HERE to Ft. Breedingdale !!!  From all appearances in your profile pic, that Cock would be mightily appreciated in this burg. Plus, everyone always needs more inquiring minds.  The healthcare system can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you know your way around, it's not all that tough.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Want my 1st cock said:

I just was at my 3 month Prep checkup yesterday and the Physician told me point blank that he is seeing TONS of guys coming in with not only 1 but BOTH MP shots and they are contracting MP. Even being fully “vaccinated” He told me flat out from the data he is witnessing daily that the MP vaccinated guys are still just at risk. It appears it may be similar to the early days of Covid vaccines when we were all told, that if we got the COVID vaccine we would NOT get Covid. Well we all learned that was not true.

Maybe the newest variant

or it just reduces symptoms

or efficacy wanes and bi-annual boosters are needed

14 hours ago, BareLover666 said:

I wasn't told this and am aware that the Monkey Pox is a different virus that Smallpox is it makes sense the Smallpox vaccine doesn't work as well. 
Just like with Covid-19-vaccines if it lessens transmission and serious illnesses it's still a good thing.

I've seen doctors post these warnings on Twitter which have since been removed as it might be anti-vax miss or diss -information.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, PigBoyDallas said:

I got my MP vaccine today as I'm going to Corpus Christi for the weekend and wanted to be able to play and relax without worrying about MP.

I very much doubt that a vaccine given on a Tuesday is going to offer you any significant defense by Saturday. It’s not a condom. The vaccine itself doesn’t make you immune; the contents of the vaccine trigger an immune response in your body to develop antibodies specific to the pathogen so that if you come into contact with it your immune system can deal with it. Developing that specific immune response, and ramping it up to an effective level in the body, takes time. You weren’t “good to go” the moment you got the jab, and you probably won’t be for several days.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I've seen doctors post these warnings on Twitter which have since been removed as it might be anti-vax miss or diss -information.

My apologies if what I said came across as anti-vax or as disinformation. 

Just saying that there's hardly ever such thing as a 100 % guarantee for being safe, nor can we control everything and every risk in life and I feel this is at the root of anti-vax and conspiracy theorists.
Having said that:
A vaccine even if it doesn't protect you individually for that 100 % percent, it still works for our population as a whole in slowing or stopping an outbreak. Vaccines - like with Covid-19 - can lesten the effects of infection (you don't get as sick as one would being unvaccinated) and prevent fatal outcomes, even if one does get sick.