Issues with Taking PrEP

Hm, I am also autistic and very sensitive to tastes, smells, and sensations;

My "issue' with taking prep was simply being unable to take the pill every day, chalk it up to laziness, recklessness and/or carelessness but I understand thats a personal thing thats's not within the scope of this topic. It obviously ended up with my pozzing around 6 years ago which, given the era and an understanding partner-now-ex, didn't mentally affect me in the slightest.

You say you stoppped taking prep during covid - how/what methods were you using to be able to take it before and could you possibly just start trying those again? Or were you having intermittent success as well?

I have to also mention that I absolutrely am freaked out by needles - the knowledge is probably the unbearable part more than the relatively minor pain but just typing this I am clutching my now-tensed-up arm with my fingernails (which is what I do to 'distract' myself from the feeling) - but maybe this is more tolerable than a pill for you?

Fizzy, sweet soda, preferably orange is what I use to wash down pills and, erm, drugs BTW - how i do it is:

1.) hold your breath (this should take 10 seconds all said)

2.) take a sip and keep it in your mouth

3.) pop the pill/dose in the pool of soda etc...

4.) swallow (you can follow with slightly more drink first)

5.) take a big gulp of your drink to wash it all out

6.) THEN you can breathe

Best of luck

A bit late to this conversation but here is my experience : I started with actual Truvada pills and it was ok.

Then my drugstore gave me the same molecule but from another maker. These cost less than from the big brand name, not that it costs me anything personally (living in France, it’s fully taken care of) but it’s in the interest of public finances so they just do it. The thing is, these new pills didn’t have the same coating. Or maybe no coating at all. As soon as I had one in the mouth it was releasing some foul taste that almost made me feel nauseous every time. The best method I found was taking the pill between the front teeth before washing it down with some juice or other flavored drink. 

Then one day the drugstore gave me yet another copy from another brand. And things were suddenly back to normal : no foul taste, just ordinary, mostly tasteless, pills. So now I just refuse to take the first brand brand when they want to give me that. 

So trying a different brand of the same drug might help your problem, if it really is the taste that gets you. For what it’s worth, not knowing if you have the same offer were you are, the ugly ones are by Mylan, and the good ones by Krka.  Both come in individual conditioning so they are compatible with on demand protocol (I can go weeks without taking them)

• Upvote 1