I got bullied at work

Sharp-edge

On 10/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Sharp-edge said:

She told me it's not personal and she just consider us to be sick

You know what - bullshit it’s not personal. It became personal the minute she started calling you sick and worse, especially behind your back. But maybe she means it isn’t personal because you’re not the only one she has it in for. If she’s telling you to forget about your contract, how is she grading the gay students in her classes?

Does this university by chance have a student-run newspaper? She might find it very uncomfortable to suddenly find herself being asked to speak on the record about her views about homosexuality, or if she has the gall to air her bigotry in the open, she might discover the power of the press.

There’s also the question of how her behavior would reflect on the department, the discipline, and the faculty at large. You’re embarrassing the laboratory? Wait until her scientific peers learn about her wildly un-scientific thinking. She may discover that she’s the embarrassment. In many universities it’s the kind of thing that might earn a vote of censure from a faculty senate. I suspect that the more noise you make about this, the less she’s going to want to own it.

Politics in academia are like nitroglycerine - when you shake things up, it usually knocks something over.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ErosWired said:

bullshit it’s not personal. It became personal the minute she started calling you sick and worse, especially behind your back. But maybe she means it isn’t personal because you’re not the only one she has it in for. If she’s telling you to forget about your contract, how is she grading the gay students in her classes?

Does this university by chance have a student-run newspaper? She might find it very uncomfortable to suddenly find herself being asked to speak on the record about her views about homosexuality, or if she has the gall to air her bigotry in the open, she might discover the power of the press.

It's not personal, she hates all gays equally. Sad though that all these years around me didn't help her reconsider. I can perfectly understand disliking something unknown or strange maybe the stereotypes have had their part. But having a gay colleague with whom u had a really good professional relationship and treating him like that? She's hopeless. Plus, I know from my experience that many researchers are gays at least in biology. For me it's 60% girls, 30% gay guys and straights are hard to find. We don't have a newspaper but we have the student's union which is strong. I also consulted an organisation about gay rights and they said they can legally support me if needed. I also found a second guy, former researcher who told me he received a similar behaviour and he's more than willing to see her face the consequences.

I also had a small act of support. The lab stuff (basically the master and phd student) printed a sheet and post it in our news board (the physical one not somewhere online)

[think before following links] https://prattlab.chem.lsa.umich.edu/img/DEI Poster.jpg

which is very kind and I appreciated it.