PrEP/need advice!

betabeaux

I wish they had those meds back 30 years ago. They are now a life saver for those that are negative. I have been Poz for 30 years and I am on meds and undetectable. The meds I am on now keep me from being reinfected as well.

The hazards of not going on PrEP are not only HIV but all of the other health issues that are or can be associated with it. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, barebackbro said:

Thanks @viking8x6! I wanted to post something to that effect, but was too lazy to try to explain it!

Indeed. I learned that HIV under medication doesn’t just go away. A lot of effects pertain, cognition may be impaired, risks for cancer, redistribution of body fat etc. 

While „you lead a normal life even with HIV“ is certainly a good message for reducing the stigma, it also gives a bit of unjustified comfort about health effects. 

5 hours ago, BigPaleBottom said:

Indeed. I learned that HIV under medication doesn’t just go away. A lot of effects pertain, cognition may be impaired, risks for cancer, redistribution of body fat etc. 

While „you lead a normal life even with HIV“ is certainly a good message for reducing the stigma, it also gives a bit of unjustified comfort about health effects. 

True, I have had a PE that almost killed me plus cancer but have beat all of that. Numerous health issues but have gotten healthy and not had any major issues for 10 years. A lot of it is understanding the disease and knowing what your body is saying to you.  The one thing I do not understand is the bug chasers and why they would want to put themselves through that with PrEP out there. This is not a fun illness and I did not see myself surviving. Take advantage of those new meds!!!! 

The one thing I have learned is learning to accept my mortality. Not scared of dying any longer. Everyone has to do it, so why fear it. I get courage from these little kids fighting and dying from cancer and doing it with a smile on their face. 

I digress from a crazy rant. Prolong your life with the PrEP!

• Upvote 1