IML 2023

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't see many replies to requests for first-timers in this chat, so I'm going to make a few suggestions on the assumption that no one messaged you privately. 

Depending on the length of your visit to the event, be prepared for getting overwhelmed. If it's just one day, I don't see the harm in that. Longer, however, may leave you hungry, dehydrated, penniless, and completely gassed. Remember to take a break from the partying and fun times, and go recharge your batteries in your room. FOMO is hard, I know, but you'll have a bad time if you have no energy because you skip meals or feel like hell but can't stop fucking or cruising.

There are a ton of official events, but recognize that you may not be able to attend everything. No one can, there is SO MUCH going on all at the same time. I think there are recovery meetings every day for those who are trying to stay sober; there's usually a pup mosh; nightly circuit parties and unofficial events; three floors of the market to cruise and buy stuff; so much to see and do. Bring a camera, and whatever you were planning to spend -- DOUBLE IT. Better to have the extra money and not need it for food or must-have gear or cab rides. Sometimes shuttles are around for non-event things and offsite parties. Say hello to everyone. You never know who you might cross paths with, and who might be a great fuck (if you're looking for action). And these are people you'll likely see only at this event because it's so global, so even one-time experiences can be valuable or memorable. 

If you don't mind the smoke, hang out in front of the Congress at night to meet the cigar daddies and socialize. You'll meet some great guys. Women are about, also, but the majority are men. If you're not attending the contest stuff, one can still go. The contest is OPTIONAL. But get a wristband and market pass from the ground level office of the Congress for a day or a weekend. Bring cash for this - it's recommended although they might have a credit card option now. That's really the first step - otherwise security won't let you into the market, and the hotel staff may eject you if you're caught without your pass (and they DO check). 

For food and toiletries, a CVS store is nearby, but I don't remember them having too much. The hotel has a restaurant, Rafael's, that is missable. Meh food, limited menu, a little overpriced, and (based on my history) a staff that doesn't understand basic English. The other one - I forget its name but it has the booths and glass windows on the interior of the hotel - has an acceptable breakfast buffet. Travelodge (next to the hotel) has a good breakfast place, but it fills up FAST. There's also EGGsperience down the street a little ways, and a few blocks away are Subway and Pita Heaven. Look 'em up if you want something uncomplicated. It's Michigan Avenue, so there's TONS of different places to eat. The hotels typically don't have iceboxes included with the rooms without a fee, so bringing food that requires cold isn't a great idea. Get dry, room-temperature stable food.

Definitely go to the Black and Blue Ball if you can on Monday night. Great party, and there IS a shuttle to take people there. Go dancing, or get nailed in the bathroom or on the balconies, whatever you like. Most everyone has checked out by Tuesday morning and the place is a ghost town. Also give yourself a day to get home and have "event drop". One can be exhausted and emotional the day after, and this is where self-care is important. Your recently acquired memories will still be with you, and depending on your experiences, you might feel more than a little drained. Take this time to recover, especially if you do the whole weekend plus a long flight. 

Control your drug use. Every time I've been, there is always a late night call for an amberlamps and medical crew because someone overdid it, and they get the humiliating experience of being wheeled out of the hotel on a stretcher in front of everyone. You don't want to be that person, and it means you'll spend the night (or next day) in a hospital room in terrible discomfort, and miss the fun of the event. KNOW YOUR LIMITS. 

IML is a great experience for those who just let it be - they go, they meet people, they see things they don't see at home, they collect a few souvenirs, and they go home with memories that will last until the next IML (usually people come back after their first visit because they had such an amazing time). Good luck. 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...