Thoughts on lesser known sex apps - what works for you?

BB4fking

When using apps for years I’ve mainly used Grindr and BBRTS and, in last couple of years, Twitter. I continue to have enough success to persevere with those three although each brings frustrations. I’m trying out other apps partly from frustration but also because in some countries e.g. in Asia there are much more popular apps. Some of the newer apps I’m still trying out others I’ve discontinued for various reasons. As with twitter there are some apps that are not primarily sex or dating apps but are used for hookups. I’m interested in others experience with apps that are generally lesser known for guys on this site. I’ll start things off with my experiences.

Sniffies - probably well known to others, especially in US, but new to me. I got a hookup within a few days of registering  but otherwise quiet. Many users in my city but hardly anywhere else in my country. Looks to be popular in Australia but not used (or not available?) in Asia.

Feeld - an app for threesomes. I enjoy MMM and had a passing fancy that it might be fun to try MMF. I deleted the app after a few days probably not giving it a fair trial. I got no contact and had a vague suspicion that the local profiles were all fake as they looked nothing like people in my city and professionally staged.

Blued - this seems to be a genuinely popular app in Asia. I couldn’t work out how to make it work for me.

Line - a communication app used for hookups in Thailand, probably elsewhere in Asia. While I used it to communicate with guys I was already in contact with I couldn’t work out how to use it to find guys.

Telegram - while this seems much the same as WhatsApp I understand that there are groups out there setting up sex parties on telegram  and I can’t work out how to find them.

Here's the thing. There are apps like Grindr and BBRTS (and Scruff and Growlr and Adam4Adam and Recon and half a dozen or more others) that are heavily oriented towards personal connections between members (aka "hookup" apps). There's no way to say X is better than Y in this group of apps, because each has its own group of members, and for person A, the choices on X are better but for person B, the choices on Y are better. These things vary by region within a country as well as from country to country or continent to continent. But you almost always have to start with something like this - even if it's something popular only in the area/region you're headed - because this kind of app does the sorting and finding for you - typically by having profiles that are searchable.

Something like Twitter, which is a general purpose communications app that is being used (by some) for sex-related stuff, is likely to have a much lower "success rate" because it's simply not designed for, say, finding profiles of versatile gay guys between 30 and 45 in X city. It's just not built for that. In addition, a huge portion of the sex-related content on Twitter is just promotions for OnlyFans and JustForFans sites and the like; but even the people who are simply somewhat exhibitionistic with no fan site to push are (in my experience) seldom looking just for a hookup - they want the attention that comes from a popular account, but they don't actually (for the most part) do much of anything with their fans, unless it's someone willing to do "content creation" with them.

As you note, a lot of these apps are general purpose communications apps - Telegram, WhatsApp, Line - that may be useful for communicating once a connection has been made elsewhere. But they're essentially useless for finding potential partners for play or otherwise. They just are not designed - and have no useful features - for finding people to connect with unless you already have established the connection elsewhere. Think of them as like a private cell phone number you can share with anyone you meet elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1