Does HIV infection increase male sexual behavior?

22 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

They actually did control the study for this effect and ruled out this potential explanation (or seem to think they have).

They did it by comparing specifically the newly diagnosed HVL patients against the newly diagnosed patients who did not have a high viral load. The former group had signficantly higher sexual behavior in the 1 month after diagnosis than did the latter group. My understanding (not having picked it apart too carefully) is that this is the main point upon which their claim that HIV specifically influences sexual behavior is based.

Still skeptical. I can see how a viral influence on libido might generate an increase in appetite for sexual outlet in men under a significantly higher viral load and hence higher viral pressure to spread virus outside the host, but claiming a direct viral influence on specific behaviors seems a bit of a reach, given the multitude of factors that may influence a behavior. I’m not sure I’m ready to buy ‘the virus made me do it’ any more than I am that the devil did.

I’m also interested to know to what extent the same phenomenon is true of women infected with HIV. If the effect is real as advertised, one would expect the virus not to care about the gender of the host.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

Still skeptical.

As am I. I do think (as the authors state) that it merits further study.

I can see how a viral influence on libido might generate an increase in appetite for sexual outlet in men under a significantly higher viral load

From a biological point of view, appetite qualifies as a behavior IMO. Q.E.D.

I’m also interested to know to what extent the same phenomenon is true of women infected with HIV. If the effect is real as advertised, one would expect the virus not to care about the gender of the host.

Absolutely agree. And definitely merits study. Presumably one would have to do that in Africa, which might complicate things a bit. It appears that quite a bit of the data in the paper under discussion came from African studies, though.

1 hour ago, viking8x6 said:

From a biological point of view, appetite qualifies as a behavior IMO. Q.E.D.

To my way if thinking, appetite is what makes you want to eat supper. It isn’t entirely what decides if you decide to eat it at 5:00 instead of 8:00, or if you choose ramen over hamburger, or if you eat alone or in company. It may stimulate behavior, but is not itself an action taken.

Libido is what makes you horny. A guy can satisfy a sexual appetite in diverse ways (God knows). How does the virus automatically control an HVL HIV patient to go out and fuck versus take the more immediate route of sating that hunger by masturbating, and how thoroughly did the study consider this aspect of the problem? I have many questions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1