Everyone getting kicked off twitter with suspended accounts?

• Close2MyBro changed the title to Everyone getting kicked off twitter with suspended accounts?

there's a lot of stuff happening on twitter now .. one guy told me he lost 4000 followers last night .. others have told me they lost over 1000 .. my count hasn't changed in the past day .. i'm just over 180k .. the news reports they have a lot less staff, right?  could be DMC violations that are going out, could be a lot of those suspended are bots and/or bots of the bots, who knows .. they are having IT issues - there were multiple days last week I couldn't get on .. or i'm on and the screen refreshes and it says I need to login again .. i've just been telling folks to have a back-up account and follow as many of the same people on the back-up as on your primary account .. 

A lot of them are getting messages that they've been permanently banned and can't create another account. A couple have tried to appeal but within seconds get an email that says that they're account won't be reinstated and they are permanently banned from twitter.

• Like 1

yeah .. once you're suspended - you can't go back using the same account .. you would have to use an entirely different/unrelated email address .. suspension usually means there have been repeated  offenses, or a single serious offense (posting something not allowwed/illegal/etc) .. but i have heard of people getting their accounts back - but it takes MONTHS .. one guy i know got suspended, started using his back-up accounnt,  then about 6 months later - they gave his account back to him.  The bottom line is - twitter can do whateverthefuckthewant - it's a private entity .. they can do what they want .. it's harsh, but, they're not alone in behaving in ways people don't like .. think FB, IG, tumblr, the now departed newTumbl .. they run their private boards the way the want .. 

question - were any of them Twitter Blue subscribers?

Well this is what's odd, two of them were not blue subscribers but would both browse and post, one was a blue subscriber and browsed and posted, a third was not a blue subscriber but would only browse and follow, but never liked or posted or did anything else to interact and he got suspended too. So I was thinking maybe someone he followed got suspended for a severe violation and they suspended everyone that followed that person too.

oh .. okay THAT happened to me on tumblr and newTumbl .. I never posted "original" stuff on either site ..i got kicked off both sites 2x - no warning, no explaination .. so that was my thought - either i reposted something from someone who got nuked - or i followed someone who got nuked.   Difficult to say since I've never heard of any site who supplies a reason. 

The ONLY time i've been given a reason is on twitter for DMC issues - that's a legal issue - and they do email you the formal complaint from the other party - and a link to the item that was posted (although it's already been deleted so it's sometimes hard to figure out what the offending post is) .. and you do have the opportunity to file a response if you feel the violation is not warrented .. because of this i will never post Dan Tai or Reno Gold .. i've gotten DMC notices from both of their lawyers and I had tagged the posts back to them - and they still filed violation notices.  

Sorry to moving this away from the original issue .. 

3 minutes ago, pupHawaii said:

oh .. okay THAT happened to me on tumblr and newTumbl .. I never posted "original" stuff on either site ..i got kicked off both sites 2x - no warning, no explaination .. so that was my thought - either i reposted something from someone who got nuked - or i followed someone who got nuked.   Difficult to say since I've never heard of any site who supplies a reason. 

The ONLY time i've been given a reason is on twitter for DMC issues - that's a legal issue - and they do email you the formal complaint from the other party - and a link to the item that was posted (although it's already been deleted so it's sometimes hard to figure out what the offending post is) .. and you do have the opportunity to file a response if you feel the violation is not warrented .. because of this i will never post Dan Tai or Reno Gold .. i've gotten DMC notices from both of their lawyers and I had tagged the posts back to them - and they still filed violation notices.  

Sorry to moving this away from the original issue .. 

I appreciate the response. It helps add some perspective to the situation. I just don't get why they would think it wise to kick off someone who's just browsing. What's funny is that twitter's own site says they will tell you exactly what post got you kicked off, but my friends who have tried to make that request keep getting an email back that they're permanently suspended but never get the information they're asking for.

2 minutes ago, Close2MyBro said:

I appreciate the response. It helps add some perspective to the situation. I just don't get why they would think it wise to kick off someone who's just browsing. What's funny is that twitter's own site says they will tell you exactly what post got you kicked off, but my friends who have tried to make that request keep getting an email back that they're permanently suspended but never get the information they're asking for.

exactly .. if it's not a legal reason - there will be no explanation ..

14 hours ago, CumCravinHole said:

My fingers are crossed b/c many of my follows are content like that which you’ve mentioned (though hardly mundane) and incidentally have retweeted at times.

Excuse the novice in me, however, what does DMC stand for?

thank you in advance. 

The actual acronym is "DMCA", which stands for the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It dates back to the era when piracy of intellectual property - notably music and films, but other forms as well - began to be considered a serious problem by copyright holders (typically, large music and TV/movie studios).

The DMCA, among other things, outlines a procedure for online services to handle claims of copyright violation. Under the DMCA, if someone claims that a file posted online on a given service (say, Facebook, Twitter, generic web hosting company, or whatever) is his copyrighted property, the online service can insulate itself from liability by immediately removing (or blocking access to) the specified file. The person who uploaded it may still be liable for copyright infringement.

If the person who posted it contests the ownership of the copyright, there's a process by which the service can investigate the claim (typically, if it's a corporate entity claiming copyright, they're likely to win, if only because they're likely to have lawyers and records to back up their claims). Or the service can just tell the person who posted the file to go fight the copyright claimant in court.

Obviously, the DMCA was written by lawyers for the big content producing studios, so its terms favor them. It's designed as a carrot to encourage online service providers to promptly take down copyright violations; by insulating them from liability and allowing them to dump disputes on the courts, the services have a strong incentive to just roll over any time a content creator (again, typically a big TV/movie studio or recording company) files a DMCA takedown request.

• 3 weeks later...

I had created a new account on Twitter a little after the takeover and was just for viewing smut. I never posted anything except for likes and one comment complementing the creator. I blocked anything news, politics, cooking etc and I was permanently banned as well. I suspect that accounts with NSFW content aren't welcome due to risk and low profit. Now that it's X things might change again, but I don't care. I'd rather stay with classic platforms that don't remove accounts at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 1

I've not been suspended yet; however, I have my account set to "private", aka "locked down", aka "protected tweets", etc.   If you were to look at my profile, there is a "padlock" symbol next to it.  This means that non-followers will see the message "These tweets are protected" when viewing my profile.  In order to see my content, someone must send me a "follow" request, which I must approve.