Why is Philly so inactive?

dirtyskeptic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 9:25 AM, dirtyskeptic said:

Where are all the Philly area guys?

It's a little strange.  I don't live in Philly but used to travel there a fair amount.  In the early 2000's there were a lot of bb guys around Philly, some of whom showed up here.  I would have definitely expected more guys from Philly here but it isn't so.  

The newish semi-private party scene in NYC may just be attracting more people to NYC.

Edited by fuckholedc

On 2/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, fuckholedc said:

used to travel there a fair amount

It's funny, I can say the same thing about Baltimore and DC. I used to travel to those locations a fair amount for raw house parties. Attracting more people to NYC? If that is the case then I am definitely meeting all the wrong people here in Philly because not one person I have met in the past 5 years can get Bus Fair together let alone a way to NYC and stay over night. And if anything more NYC people have been flocking to Philly and the one last bath house here. 

I think it's all related to how Philly continues to be a place of gossipy types who drop names and experiences constantly.
They don't have time to be on a website like breedingZone. They're already busy talking about him, or them, or what happened over there, while they continue to be perfect angels.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:25 AM, NeedSeedBad said:

It's funny, I can say the same thing about Baltimore and DC. I used to travel to those locations a fair amount for raw house parties.

How ironic.  The only house parties I've ever been to were in Philly, and now quite a while ago.  I know of none at all in DC or Baltimore., of any kind.  Then 1 raw fuck party in Newark.  

And if anything more NYC people have been flocking to Philly and the one last bath house here. 

This is a good point.  However NYC has a population of 8.4 M of which it seems that more than 10% are gay males.  If NYC people were coming to Philly then it should be flooded with people.  

Hello. I am new to this forum, but definitely not new to Philly. I came to this forum, precisely for the reason this thread started. I don't know what is it about Philly (have been living here for 22 years), and I have seen a decline of venues and people willing to hookup. I have to agree with NeedSeedBad in that there seems to be a bad culture that doesn't promote unity.

Years ago I used to go to sex parties here in Philly, and one of them closed and the guys running it moved to Vegas. The other stopped the parties, and this is his account about the reasons for him to stop: He said to me that he stopped the parties because he got death threats if he didn't stop. He was running sex parties for big men of color in NYC, and decided to bring them to Philly. I attended a few of them and then they stopped.

I stopped going to the bath house in Philly because (a) they were always the same people, (b) they were always the same people with poor attitude, and (c) the management and employees of the place were treating customers like garbage, and (d) I got a job for a nonprofit that helped the community and many of the clients also went to that place, and it didn't feel right for me to go where they went to hook up. In one occasion, at the bath house, I found an employee in the room that rented, claiming that "he was checking and noticed that it was unlocked". I have OCD, so trust me, it was locked. He was lying. He was the same employee who processed me when I entered, so he knew that I hadn't checked my wallet with them. Also, I got a one-year membership and they cut it short by a month, putting its expiration date a month sooner than it should be. So, shady practices all around.

Philly is full of clicks ready to "attack" outsiders with gossip or racial shit, or just whatever reason. We don't even have Gay Pride anymore over gossipy, catty bullshit. And that is, after being the only city I know that had Gay Pride, Black Gay Pride and Latino Gay Pride separately. Overall it's a city of bitter, angry people with the attitude that comes with it, but lately has gotten worse in that respect. We shouldn't expect differently from gay men there.

Not referring to Philly specifically but in general it's a mixed bag. I was surprised when I found this forum and saw how active it was, several gay forums either a very inactive or they don't want hookup/meet up posts. My advice would be in addition to being here, get on the apps; Grindr, Scruff, A4A, Sniffies but sites like Fetlife as well