HIV on medication wants to go bareback

Hello, I have HIV since 2016, and that same year I started medication, in 2 months my viral load was undetectable

My viral load has been undetectable since 2016 and I never missed 1 pill of my medication during all those years.

I want to start bareback.

Is there any chance for me to get Reinfected in a way my medication is gonna stop working? what are the most updated information about that ( I only found out an article from 2002 )

please help me 

thank you 🙂

• Moderators

It is very unlikely that this would happen. The same medication that is treating your own HIV effectively serves as PrEP against any possible superinfection.

There isn't a lot of good data on this, because it's actually fairly hard to study (and there's not a lot of money in it for the drug companies, of course).

I did find this quote from a 2005 article that's somewhat helpful:

Recently, a retrospective analysis of a convenience sample of chronically infected individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy was unable to detect HIV superinfection during >1072 person-years of observation

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/192/3/438/834693?login=false

• Like 1

needless to say, of course, that other STIs/STDs are around. I would urge anyone who is thinking of barebacking to do their research. Get the human papilloma, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, the monkeypox virus vaccines. Hep B is fucking debilitating, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. 

Edited by Poz50something
  • Thanks 1