Auto Cookies?

ErosWired

I’ve noticed recently that every time I log onto the site I’m met with a notice at the bottom of the screen announcing the site’s policy regarding its use of cookies, with options to Accept or Cancel. But if I don’t do anything very quickly, like within three or four seconds, a check mark appears on Accept, and the options disappear. I take this to mean that the site auto-chooses for the user to accept cookies whether the user wants them or not. Is this a bug or a feature? Also, why does this show up every time? I haven’t cleared my cache after every visit.

Using Safari on iPhone when this occurs.

I’ve been getting the cookie message too for a while now, the accept is always green and ticked on loading so I’ve just assumed it’s to encourage you to accept rather than automatically accepting- I always click deny and it disappears… I might be making this up but I have a feeling due to GDPR (or whatever the acronym is) by law the cookies need to be optional over here

It disappears on mine too, regardless of whether I click accept or deny. But the odd thing is that it keeps popping up. If it were placing a cookie, it shouldn’t need to keep checking for permission to place a cookie; the cookie should tell it there’s a cookie there, I would have thought.

• Administrators

I have not experienced that - on my Mac or my iPhone - though I mostly use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is getting increasingly weird about deleting cookies before their requested expiration (in the name of "security"). They could be tracking whether you consistently say OK and just clicking it for you. It wasn't a cookie they were supposed to delete in the first place. (You shouldn't be seeing that dialog in most cases). I'd only worry if it was getting auto set for a user who was new to the site.

• Moderators

I do get this from time to time, though it's only occasional. I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

I suspect, though I haven't been paying close attention, that it happens each time the browser is updated. And thanks to evergreen software, that happens relatively often (about once a week). I see similar behavior with authentication on various sites.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.