Breaking bad news to a patient

As a result if this diagnosis, someone is going to have to have a very frank and candid discussion with this young man about sex, and how his condition will play a part in his sexual life and choices in the future. This may be an even trickier conversation than disclosing his illness, because his young age means his sexual experience is likely limited (though he got the virus somehow) and his understanding and vocabulary of adult sexuality may be unsophisticated, and he may be operating under any number of incorrect assumptions. I don’t know how openly sex is spoken about in Greek society - America, for a country so saturated with sexual imagery, is oddly repressed when it comes to actually talking about it - so he may or may not be nervous or embarrassed at having someone openly broach the subject of how he will be fucking in the future. But someone must, and they must be direct, detailed, and down-to-earth. One of the very first effects HIV has on a person is that it makes his notions of dignity irrelevant in the face of necessity.

I did have a thought about getting the mother out of the way at least when revealing the young man's diagnosis to him.  Find some excuse to send her on an urgent errand. Make sure it's going to take awhile to complete.  Though she obviously is a pain, she also obviously loves her son and would probably do anything she could to help. Kind of devious,  but so am I. 

5 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

In order to help eradicate stigma, terms such as "clean" (even when used in quotation marks) must never be used. The closest suitable alternative is "clear", especially when referring to being clear of other infections. 

I didn't know that but I'll have it in mind. It's not in english, we're Greeks so I just translated my thought.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ErosWired said:

As a result if this diagnosis, someone is going to have to have a very frank and candid discussion with this young man about sex, and how his condition will play a part in his sexual life and choices in the future. This may be an even trickier conversation than disclosing his illness, because his young age means his sexual experience is likely limited (though he got the virus somehow) and his understanding and vocabulary of adult sexuality may be unsophisticated, and he may be operating under any number of incorrect assumptions. I don’t know how openly sex is spoken about in Greek society - America, for a country so saturated with sexual imagery, is oddly repressed when it comes to actually talking about it - so he may or may not be nervous or embarrassed at having someone openly broach the subject of how he will be fucking in the future. But someone must, and they must be direct, detailed, and down-to-earth. One of the very first effects HIV has on a person is that it makes his notions of dignity irrelevant in the face of necessity.

So true. I don't even know if he's gay. I should discuss some things with him. I don't think he has a gf/bf because nobody came. Half my job is to make him okay from the virus part and the other half is return him back to society fully functional, not in guilt.

Sex is a weird thing. Religion was the worst thing. Our gods were fucking non stop, boys, men were fucking each others, we had the so called "mysteries" that involved sex between drunk people and now the church of greece prohibits (not exactly because it has power of law but because it has power over politics) sex education at school. Even the HPV vaccine until some years ago was not prescribed in boys. You almost had to say as a boy that you're a horny gay boy that wants to take dick. I'm sorry for putting it that way, but when the indication for HPV vaccine in boys were "males of high risk" I can't think of something different I'm sorry.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sharp-edge said:

I didn't know that but I'll have it in mind. It's not in english, we're Greeks so I just translated my thought.

Totally understood. I hope my comment didn't sound harsh, as I was only trying to be helpful. Good luck with things. The patient concerned is fortunate to have access to someone like you, who cares so much. 

17 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

Totally understood. I hope my comment didn't sound harsh, as I was only trying to be helpful. Good luck with things. The patient concerned is fortunate to have access to someone like you, who cares so much. 

No it's okay, no worries.

Another thing I was thinking is that bug chasing around that I've seen in the internet. I'm not actually aware if it's just a made up scenario or some people actually mean it though. But this guy is so vulnerable and I fear he will be traumatized despite the best of our efforts not to. His viral load is high af, but this dude is just a shocked and devastated person who needs medical (physical) and emotional support. Not a sex demon that's going to breed "innocent" buttholes. Although based on the fact that he didn't know his status and that possibly he has had sex these years he may have "seeded" people (willing ones or just unaware ones) and he hasn't cum for days (although I supposed he won't be horny given all these). 

Edited by Sharp-edge

I hope you were able to navigate this situation and help him out... Without breaking confidentiality, are you able to say how it turned out in the end ?