Do the HPV and mpox vaccines provide lifetime protection like the hep A/B vaccines?

Hello everyone,

We all know the hepatitis A/B vaccines provide lifetime protection after 2 or 3 doses.

But what about the HPV vaccine (gardasil, 3 doses) and the mpox vaccine (jynneos, 2 doses)?

Do they provide lifetime protection, or will we have to get booster doses after 5, 10 or 15 years?

• Moderators

HPV provides long term protection (probably for life). From the CDC web site:

Studies suggest that HPV vaccines offer long-lasting protection against HPV infection and therefore disease caused by HPV infection. Studies of the bivalent and quadrivalent vaccines have followed vaccinated individuals for more than 10 years and have found no evidence of protection decreasing over time. Duration of protection provided by HPV vaccination will continue to be studied.

Because the Mpox vaccines were originally intended for protection against smallpox and were later found also to be effective against Mpox (and were used for it), there are not enough long term data on those vaccines to know whether the protection is long term. However, similar vaccines against smallpox, which were used when it was still around as an endemic disease, did provide long term protection against that disease.

1 minute ago, viking8x6 said:

HPV provides long term protection (probably for life). From the CDC web site:

Because the Mpox vaccines were originally intended for protection against smallpox and were later found also to be effective against Mpox (and were used for it), there are not enough long term data on those vaccines to know whether the protection is long term. However, similar vaccines against smallpox, which were used when it was still around as an endemic disease, did provide long term protection against that disease.

I personally am not sure that the mpox vaccine is a lifetime deal. Even with the original smallpox vaccine I had as a baby, I was required to get a second dose before I went to college. When I didn't get the scarring reaction, my doctor told me that was a sign that I still was immune, but that happened less than 50% of the time. In those days if one traveled abroad, one had to show proof of recent vaccination to be able to return to the USA. My parents and my brother and sister all got reactions from later doses.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

FYI, my doctor confirmed to me that the 2-dose vaccination scheme against mpox was effective for a lifetime. Just got my second jab.

Edited by tonio
  • Upvote 1