Anyone else having trouble with BBRT?

newbboy84

There is a post about this on their facebook page :

We have been receiving complaints that the website is directing people to places like "the yellow pages", "women's underwear" and various other places unexpected. For example: You enter BBRTS.COM and get sent to someplace totally unexpected. The crappy part is that most members presume that BBRTS.COM is the problem when in fact the problem exists on the member's own PC or Network.

This happens about every 3 months. Some clown decides to embed MALWARE into a video or game that is freely available (******* Sites or "tube" sites). The unsuspecting user downloads and installs some hidden software that messes with your PC's Domain Name Services. The sad thing is that it's a VERY OLD and VERY TIRED hack. Otherwise known as "The HOST FILE HACK".

Other variations on this are to mess with your PC's DNS Server Addresses or your router's DNS Server Addresses. If the HOST FILE HACK isn't the problem.. you may need to contact your internet provider to make sure your DNS Settings are correct. The DNS Settings vary wildly with each service provider. It may be as simple as rebooting your PC and Router... or may require more help from your internet provider.

When we get this type of heads up from members, we immediately check reputable DNS Servers (like GOOGLE, AT&T, ROGERS, VIRGIN) to verify that our name BBRTS is serving up the correct IP address. Today is no exception.

To correct the problem, you should run your VIRUS Protection Software in FULL SCAN mode. You should also have a good MALWARE/SPYWARE software product installed and run it in FULL SCAN as well.

If you're not able to use either/both of the above solutions, you can try GOOGLING "HOST FILE WINDOWS" and finding an article that is authored by Microsoft on how to correct the problem.

MAC users are not immune to this, either. Again, GOOGLE "HOST FILE MAC" and look for an article authored by Apple on how to correct the problem.

Keep in mind that in addition to BBRTS' domain name being messed with, GOOGLE may have their URL messed up too by this annoying and childish internet prank.

Like · · Share · 21 · 8 hours ago ·

I can log in no problem -everything is working fine for me.

• Administrators

Just checked - my hosts file is fine. BTW, when I went to edit some old stuff out of my hosts file it took an administrator password to make the change - so it appears Mac users (like me) are pretty immune to what PigMaster is talking about...

I'm on Time Warner cable. It's possible their DNS server was hacked, but all other sites are working fine. My suspicion is that one of the Wet Media (BBRT) DNS servers has been hacked and it's giving out bad info to other DNS servers. They have 4 DNS servers - so if one or two are hacked the others could make it appear that everything is OK. I find it a bit suspicious that the names of the DNS servers aren't consistent...

Name Server: 169.WET-MEDIA.NET

Name Server: 204.WET-MEDIA.NET

Name Server: NS3.WET-MEDIA.NET

Name Server: NS4.WET-MEDIA.NET

The first two look like they should be NS1 & NS2...

For the record, BBRT is resolving to 78.159.101.217 - which is a bad IP since it's located in Germany (and BBRT is in Arizona).

In case you're having a problem and you know how to edit your local hosts file the correct IP address for BBRT is 209.104.10.212