Steamworks or Mans Country?

tfukk

I'm gonna be in Chicago in a couple months and will be able to play one night on my own. I wanna get into some dirty anon sex with as many guys as possible. Gonna hit up one of the bath houses, but would like to hear some suggestions as to which one I should go to... Steamworks is supposed to be really busy, but MC is supposed to be a little more sleazy (which I prefer). I've also heard that MC is really dead a lot of times though, and I dont want to waste my night in an empty place with no action... It will be a Thurs and I know SW has a blackout party that night too - which sounds really hot... Would love to hear from some of the locals (or visitors in the know)..

Mans Country is a tired and frayed old girl, but when it happens it is a hell of a party. Steamworks is the nicer newer all features work facility--BUT- with that comes attitude and a touch of greed. If you happen to be there for the 1st time, learn from my experience- they do not announce your room about to expire- it is on a TV monitor , so if you happen to be there and it is slow, and you lay down , set a couple of alarm clocks. If not, they will charge you overtime fines- in my case, I arrived on a Friday for a long weekend. When I checked in a nice enough guy registered me and checked me in- I got a sling room ( poorly laid out, but thats another issue) and after getting lost, had a cleaner show me the way to the room. Unpacked, stripped and went hunting. The place was sparse and I got a general bearing of the place. Around 4p there was a small bubble of activity, then it died off around 6 p. I went to the room and finally after 20 minutes and no one walking past, shut the door and laid down. I woke and it was about 9p, went out to piss, and saw my room on the TV saying I was 6 minutes overdue. I went right to the counter, explained I had been sleeping and would be out in a few minutes- I needed to shower off. The new guy at the counter looked at my room, and blandly said- You are overdue! I raced off, pissed, showered, repacked and brought the sheet, towel and pillowcase to the counter. A new guy ( a prissy twink queen) checked me out, and said I owed 21.50 in late fees - the fukkin room was only 30 or 35 dollars for 8 hrs when I checked in! I hit the roof- and asked for the manager- prissy would not cede, and announced I could either pay the fee then and there, or I would be paying it before being let in the next time (BINGO!) I took the card and my ID, and split. After that, I was not going back, and ended up getting the sling room at the Ashland Arms ( next door to JackHammer BAr) The next day i did do Man Country, and told the clerk of my experience- and he was not surprised at all- said that they were out for the gay dollars, not customer service.

I emailed SteamWorks on their web page contact form, and heard nothing back. After 3 weeks I WROTE ( yeah, the old fashioned way) to the General Manager to explain and maybe let him know of the attitude and issue with late check out-- NEVER heard a word back at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you would like Man's Country better. Steamworks is clean and nice but a lot of the people there play safe, even when it's blackout night. The last time I was there for blackout night I couldn't get a guy to fuck me bare through the GHs. Maybe it was just that night, but if I were in MC I don't think that would have been an issue. Also, if you like huge black dicks, you have a better chance of finding that in MC. In general, the people that go to MC have less attitude and are more willing to breed and get bred. The area, however, isn't as nice as where Steamworks is. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
I've been to both. Steamworks has better energy and is more contemporary. Man's Country is going through a "renovation." It needs it. The last time I was there (years ago), I was there maybe 10 minutes and left. I was disgusted with how dirty it was.

No offense...but I think Man's Country might be my kind of place...LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Pezcore, the baths are a shot in the dark when it comes to action. At either one, you will have your set of "seniors" looking to service. I've been to Steamworks in late morning (11 ish) and there wasn't much going on. Then about 1 p.m. you will get your frat jocks in for a couple of hours. Afternoon-evenings are another story. I would play both by ear. Set your expectations low and see what happens. Weekends (Thurs-Sun) are better for action. Good luck!

just wanted to say that i made it out to Steamworks - a lot of attractive guys though most wanted a guy to be more assertive with them... got my ass fucked and bred a hot guy that i ended up causally chatting with on bbrt a few days before.... overall, a good time

i love steamworks and go there more often. But I love the historic value at man's country. I love the artwork by Etienne all over the place there, as it was owned by him before his death - along with his partner Chuck Renslow, founder of IML. Don't go with high expectations for the men, but check it out anyway - then if its not great, head back to steamworks

http://www.manscountrychicago.com/history/ourhistory.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago I did a mid winter train ride up to Chicago from St Louis with the plan of just relaxing at one Steamworks or MC. One little fact steamworks web site didn't seem to mention is that you can ONLY renew one time - total of 16 hours, leave for 8 then come back. And it wasn't until I went to renew with only 5 minutes of my second 8 hours left - screwed up my whole trip. I certainly would have planned around this had I known. First time I had ever wanted or desired to stay that long in a bathhouse. Just be aware!