Fuck flu covered by the flu epidemic?

So I thought about this recently. I'm sure everyone is pretty aware that there was and still partially is a huge flue epidemic going on. I was out for a week in December because of it and everyone at my work got affected. Every shift and most were out for at least two days but some were out for a few days or a week. I was out for two days but still felt sick for a week and the week after I recovered.

But I am just curious if since the symptoms of the flu and the fuck flu are similar. Isn't it possible that anyone who would have experienced the fuck flu might have gone through it during the flu epidemic and might have had it worse? Or maybe it just balanced out.

Maybe this has no relevance I'm not really knowledgeable with health stuff but just curious if anyone knows or thinks that they might have received the fuck flu at the same time the flu epidemic went on. It's still going on I think. I hope this was the right place to post this.

Number 1: Not everyone who seroconverts gets the so-called "fuck flu." If you are concerned about catching HIV, and have been engaging in risky behaviour but think you are OK because you haven't had that symptom, it is not a reliable indicator and you still need to get tested regularly.

Number 2: The regular flu, especially this year is probably much worse. The fuck flu is ache's and fever, but I don't think projectile vomitting and gallopping diarrhea are symtoms.

...The fuck flu is ache's and fever, but I don't think projectile vomitting and gallopping diarrhea are symtoms.

they were for me. there were times i had to use a bucket to catch the stuff leaving through my front door while stuff was simultaneously leaving out my ass.

lasted about 3 weeks for me, diarrhea, sweating, chills, nausea, aches, pains, rash, fever, insomnia... i had it all i think.

maybe i had a combination of the two flus, because i got sick in feb. who knows.

"Fuck Flu" is basically a slang term for the flu-like symptoms some guys get when they seroconvert. It is the HIV virus and your body's immunune response to it that makes you feel so bad and gives you the symptoms. It varies with the individual. It is not actually a flu bug, it is HIV. No flu vaccine will have any relevant effect on this. Two completely different things.

But when you asked "covered" are you talking about insurance coverage? If so, you can probably be covered because most doctors will pass you off as a case of flu and leave it at that. They don't go to HIV unless you ask. And if you don't ask, then it's just going to go down as flu. I have had no problems with insurance since testing positive, in fact, they have been great.

Edited by TigerMilner

• Administrators
But when you asked "covered" are you talking about insurance coverage?

I think the OP meant might people think they have the flu, rather than fuck flu? In other words, is the flu epidemic masking the fact that some people are going through HIV infection.

Guest mspchaser
So I thought about this recently. I'm sure everyone is pretty aware that there was and still partially is a huge flue epidemic going on. I was out for a week in December because of it and everyone at my work got affected. Every shift and most were out for at least two days but some were out for a few days or a week. I was out for two days but still felt sick for a week and the week after I recovered.

But I am just curious if since the symptoms of the flu and the fuck flu are similar. Isn't it possible that anyone who would have experienced the fuck flu might have gone through it during the flu epidemic and might have had it worse? Or maybe it just balanced out.

Maybe this has no relevance I'm not really knowledgeable with health stuff but just curious if anyone knows or thinks that they might have received the fuck flu at the same time the flu epidemic went on. It's still going on I think. I hope this was the right place to post this.

I was wondering the same thing... I don't care if I ever test poz (which reminds me, I should probably test soon... hopefully poz!) but it'd have been nice to know if that flu that knocked me out for a week and lingered for another week was "fuck flu" or influenza.

@rawtop:

That is correct. I thought it might be possible since it was an epidemic aside from being just flu season. I'm also curious if epidemics in the past or hell even flu season has ever masked it. Obviously the only way to know for sure is to get tested. I understand not everyone gets flu like symptoms as well though.