New pope

pozithiv666

I have to get this off my chest. I don't care if I offend any catholics in this group. But the new pope is a fucking asshole. He did everything in his power to prevent Argentina from becoming

the first country in Latin America to ok gay marriage, even calling it the work of the devil. Well he failed of course. If anyone thought that the new election of a pope would bring change

to this irrelevant church is delusional. I'd rather follow the devil myself.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately... all of the Cardinals at the Pope election were appointed by John Paul and Benedict... no surprise that being a conservative a-hole was the accepted personality. Change??? Not to be expected. These guys are stuck in the 17th century.. not much better than any Taliban or any other far right religious believer. No condoms, no birth control, no planned parenthood, no acceptance of gays..... not going to change anytime soon.

And no, I am not a believer.

• Upvote 1

I think just about everybody on this forum was hoping for a pope who was totally cool with homosexuality, gay marriage, etc... but since -to my knowledge- NONE of the cardinals up for the spot subscribe to that policy, I think we got the best possible candidate for the job.

He may not be the pope who will ordain the first female catholic priest, or make any massive changes to thousands-year-old church doctrine... but he certainly won't cow-tow to the curia, and his jesuit background suggests a certain lack of rigidity to the hierarchy that has kept the same cookie-cutter philosophies from one papacy to the next. He's definitely not Hillary Clinton, but by vatican standards he is quite liberal. And more than that, he is quite in touch with the people. Perhaps not enough to govern by popular vote (which, among catholics wouldn't guarantee gay rights even if he did), but he's likely to at least LISTEN to the concerns of women, gays, and others.

He's already taken several public stances against hypocrisy in the church; calling for respect for gays, baptising children of unwed mothers who were turned away by other priests, giving funerals to those denied by others, kissing the feet of aids patients, championing the poor. It's not everything WE want in a pope, but it's better than 90% of the other cardinals that /could/ have been elected.

For an institution that took centuries to recognize bibles written in languages other than Latin, or admit that the earth orbits the sun, Francis is a relatively drastic step in the RIGHT direction. We may not see enormous changes under his leadership, but he's young enough that his appointments to the college of cardinals might at least open the possibility of serious reform in his successors.

I like their choice..he's a simple man who lives by simple means and obviously isn't swayed by the social norm..and of course he's not gonna support gay marriage,its not part of their doctrine to do so...just makes sense..otherwise they would be part of a different religion..now do agree with the catholic religion? No way..a lot of discrepancies in their beliefs..but what do guys on here care..a lot of guys who are really into pozzing and hardcore barebacking end up worshipping ***** it seems..but to each their own..

The only way the Catholic Church will take a step forward is if the new Pope takes a big step forward off the balcony. SPLAT!

I suppose, if nothing else, you can take heart in his "anti-condom" message...

Problem is, they have like 150 more of these red dressed guys in the closet to replace him.....

Anger, snarkitude, bitterness and gratuitous invective for anything/anyone y'all don't agree with.

Qualities many folks with bi-polar disorder posess. We're barking up the wrong tree if on any level we hanker after validation from the pope. Ain't gonna happen. Forget about it and let's move on.