I last bare backed about 6 weeks ago as a bottom. Within two days I had a pain deep in my ass. It lasted for a few days. About 3 weeks ago I developed a rash on my chest, backs, ass, legs and the undersides of my arms. Small pink splotches, maybe a little larger than pox. The rash is below the skin, not raised and does not itch. A few days ago I felt very lethargic and was tired for about 2 days and now I'm having muscle aches. I've also had a sore throat I can't seem to shake for at least a week now. Any chance this is syphillus and not HIV? Or more likely HIV?

Guest bbosouno

it appears it might be syphilis too early to show overt HIV infection symptoms but get checked those rapid HIV tests are very accurate

I last bare backed about 6 weeks ago as a bottom. Within two days I had a pain deep in my ass. It lasted for a few days. About 3 weeks ago I developed a rash on my chest, backs, ass, legs and the undersides of my arms. Small pink splotches, maybe a little larger than pox. The rash is below the skin, not raised and does not itch. A few days ago I felt very lethargic and was tired for about 2 days and now I'm having muscle aches. I've also had a sore throat I can't seem to shake for at least a week now. Any chance this is syphillus and not HIV? Or more likely HIV?

GO GET TESTED!!!!!!

This board, and any information you get is NOT a test, or even sound medical advice. Your symptoms could be caused by any number of conditions from who you drink after, to the laundry detergent you use.

I got small pink splotches on my skin the other day. Why? I forgot im allergic to liquid fabric softener.

While you are probably nervous, a test neg or poz, makes you informed to make the right choices for yourself. If you are close to pretty much any urban area, there will almost certainly be a place to get free confidential testing done.

edit from your previous post i think you may be in Baltimore. do yourself a favor and go today.

http://baltimorehealth.org/std.html

Edited by wood

It does sound like syphilis but everyone's comments here are correct. You definitely need to get tested. Someone with syphilis is 2 to 5 times more likely to be infected with HIV if exposed. Furthermore the cure for syphilis is a simple shot of penicillin and you'll probably only need 1 shot if caught early enough. You'll likely always test positive for syphilis but it stays at an undetectable level and dormant for life unless reinfected. It is possible to seroconvert back to negative with syphilis (as I did) but it is apparently very rare.

It does sound like syphilis but everyone's comments here are correct. You definitely need to get tested. Someone with syphilis is 2 to 5 times more likely to be infected with HIV if exposed. Furthermore the cure for syphilis is a simple shot of penicillin and you'll probably only need 1 shot if caught early enough. You'll likely always test positive for syphilis but it stays at an undetectable level and dormant for life unless reinfected. It is possible to seroconvert back to negative with syphilis (as I did) but it is apparently very rare.

One correction: You don't continue to test positive for syph because it stays dormant in your system. The antibiotics (usually penicillin, but others work, too) do indeed kill the bacteria. It's because even then you will still have antibodies for many years. But that's not a problem. It only means that when getting tested for STIs you will have to tell, so they can do a second test, which doesn't just look for antibodies. Because that test is considerably more expensive, it's not standard (just like cheap ELISA search tests vs. PCR in the case of HIV). Converting back in the case of syph means that after decades the antibodies will have vanished.

One correction: You don't continue to test positive for syph because it stays dormant in your system. The antibiotics (usually penicillin, but others work, too) do indeed kill the bacteria. It's because even then you will still have antibodies for many years. But that's not a problem. It only means that when getting tested for STIs you will have to tell, so they can do a second test, which doesn't just look for antibodies. Because that test is considerably more expensive, it's not standard (just like cheap ELISA search tests vs. PCR in the case of HIV). Converting back in the case of syph means that after decades the antibodies will have vanished.

I stand corrected. Yes the positive result is due to the antibodies still in the system. However, my negative result came back 3 months after the initial penicillin shot, not years or decades. Not sure why mine vanished so quickly.

It's my third week of sickness. Having mild aches and pains. Woke up with a headache. Still have a sore throat. My body rash is starting to fade. I noticed 3 spots of rash on my palms but they look completely different than the body rash. I compared the palm rash to pics online of syphillus and HIV and it looks very similar to either. The rash on the head of my cock is going away but is still there. I haven't taken a home HIV test yet, do you think it's too early to pick it up, should I wait a few more weeks? Is there any one symptom you have with HIV that you don't get with syphillus? They look very similar symptom wise.

From personal experience: While syphillis leads to swollen lymph nodes and a rash, I personally didn't have that flu-like malaise feeling with muscle soreness and stuff. However, what is a dead giveaway for syphillis is the ulcus durum, the hard-to-the-touch chancre, where the first bacteria entered your body. If you find one in your mouth or on your dick, it's probably syph. It's more complicated if you got infected with syph deep in the ass, where you can't see the chancre or feel it with your tounge.

But as hollywoodslut and jjjeep said: The guessing game is totally pointless.

GO GET TESTED for all STDs, not just HIV!

GO see a doctor or check the web for anonymous testing locations in your area.

You can take a home HIV test after four weeks and if you're poz it will already show in 60-70% of the cases. It's good first indicator if that helps soothe your mind. But you MUST repeat the test after another 2 or more months to be sure.

However, with syph it's VERY important to start treatment early. Because that's the difference between two shots of penicillin in the ass (and your done) and hours / days of IV antibiotics in a hospital and / or weeks of pill-popping.

So for fuck's sake, just GET TESTED.

Just go get tested for all STI's and for HIV. Have them do anal and oral swabs in case they don't offer. Sometimes they don't. Three times is nothing if you have been barebacking for many years. Make it a habit of doing it at least twice a year.

Guest JizzDumpWI
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38070[/ATTACH]

This is my result

Not surprising. Even if your symptoms were fuck flu, you wouldn't have antibodies enough to trigger the oraquick. But given your story, better you find and go to a nearby STD clinic and get a full STD panel done. More likely an STI - but in truth nerves could give you similar symptoms. Get a full panel done and you'll know what you're dealing with.

Post post edit: DO WHAT TIGER SAID... :)