Chances of being Poz?

Im a straight male of 34 years and im a little worried I may be poz. I have had bareback sex on roughly nine occasions with girls I have been seeing but have always been paranoid after we split that I may caught something. Last time I had bareback sex was over seven years ago. I have had the flu twice in the last six years and only have colds a few times a year. I have also had diarrhea twice in the few years. Should I be worried?

Almost certainly not.

First of all, especially if you're circumcised, transmission of HIV from female to male is much less common than from male to female (and WAY much less common from top to bottom in the case of anal sex). It's not a zero risk, but it's pretty low.

Secondly, unlike in the gay community, where infection rates can reach up to about 20% or so, infection rates among straights in the US (and the western world generally) is minimal. There are a few communities where you might have to watch out a little bit (mostly those with lots of homophobia and thus guys who are on the "downlow", generally poorer minority groups, OR if you've been fucking around with women who have drug issues, especially IV drugs like coke, speed or heroin) but even then, you're chances are pretty low. Unless those nine women were prostitutes in Africa, your odds are pretty good.

The fact that you've had your standard colds and flu over the last seven years since you barebacked is actually a GOOD sign. It means you have a healthy immune system that's fighting off infections. Likewise, occasional diarrhea is pretty meaningless. Odds are, you ate a bad shrimp or something. And seven years is coincidentally about the average time it would take for symptoms of untreated HIV to start showing up.

By contrast, before I started treatment for my HIV, one of the things I noticed is that my seasonal allergies went away. Since I've been on treatment, they've come back with a vengeance. The fact that I'm sneezing like crazy if I skip my Claritin right now is a reassuring sign that my immune system is in pretty good shape.

So bottom line, you almost certainly don't have HIV.

However! It never hurts to check. And there are other STDs that you might have acquired that might not have any symptoms at all (syphilis is an excellent example, and after seven years you'd probably be totally asymptomatic, but just waiting for the horrific effects of tertiary syphilis to kick in). So my recommendation would be to either go to your doctor and get tested for the range of common STDs, including HIV. If nothing else, it will set your mind at ease.

If you're uncomfortable talking to your doctor about these things, or don't have health coverage, many cities have free confidential STD testing services. Alternatively, an urgent care clinic should be able to run these tests for you too.

Finally, you can buy home HIV testing kits in most pharmacies. But I'd actually only recommend that as a last resort, because you wouldn't be testing for any other STDs, and also because if, God forbid, you did happen to test positive, it's best to get the results somewhere where people will immediately be able to start helping you out with support.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it's very unlikely that you have HIV.

But still: GET TESTED.

Don't speculate - GET TESTED.

Don't worry about what-ifs - GET TESTED.

Then you'll know for sure. And after your test comes back neg, make a habit of GETTING TESTED at least semi-regularly. Because once you get used to it, it's not only free / cheap and painless, it's also the most banal and boring thing in the world.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I am just very very paranoid about the whole HIV thing. Everytime I got a cold or feel a bit ill I start to think the worst which probably doesent help. I always felt the person I had slept with was out to get me!

Guest JizzDumpWI

pauljones78; please follow MascMountainMan and GermanFucker advice. Get tested. Google STD testing in your area and find a place to get the whole panel of tests. Here in SE Wisconsin is STD Specialties; a pay clinic, but confidential and a place one can make an appointment for testing. It is just crazy to be paranoid and yet not go get testing. While it is very unlikely you have acquired HIV; please don't let the rest of STI testing go unchecked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...