Am I Poz?

About 2 years ago I had my first load, it wasn't intentional, just the heat of the moment. I loved it by the way! The next day I started feeling sick, fever, aches, sore throat, etc. Felt like I had the flu. This lasted for about 2 weeks, my doctor thought it was Strep and said to let it run it's course, so I didn't think anything of it.

A month passed I started having nightly fevers, night sweats, and extreme fatigue; but no sore throat or other flu symptoms. This lasted about 2 months, my doctor couldn't determine what it was, he just said it was an unknown viral infection. He didn't mention HIV.

I have been tested several times since and the results have been neg. I know that HIV can take some time to become detectable, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had something similar happen that later resulted in a Poz test.

I'm not freaking out over this, just curious cause I'd really love to "take the plunge" so to speak ;)

I would say your not poz it's not common to have that many neg results and then become poz without contracting it from someone else. Could be that your anxiety over this is manifesting itself in the symtomatic ways that lead you to wonder if your poz. A psychiatrist might be able to help?

Guest JizzDumpWI

I presume you have tested for more than HIV? Those symptoms could have been other than HIV. More likely you already had a common flu though...

• 4 months later...

It takes at least a week for fuck flu to become apparent, so rule out feeling ill the next day. As Tattpig remarks the chances of testing positive after so many negatives are as close to zero as you can get. When a blood sample does show up as positive for HIV antibodies (which, if you had it, you've more than enough time to form) it's then subjected to further testing to confirm the initial result. Admittedly the UK tends to lag behind the USA in HIV technology, but I can't remember a single instance of a wrong result being given to the client, and I've been involved in the HIV world since 1980...

Mononucleosis?

That sounds like a good call. Mono can make you feel bad a long time. If you had a HIV- test more than 6 months out, you are fine, there is no chance you are HIV+ unless you had other exposures after that initial exposure.

Also do bear in mind that you can get garden variety colds and flu from sex. There have been times I've come home from a wild weekend somewhere and come down with a cold a few days later.

If you've tested neg several times in the last couple of years since this incident and haven't barebacked since, then the odds of you being poz are vanishingly tiny.