Side Effects of PrEP

yellowpup

Guest JizzDumpWI

Yes, similar side effects. Usually passes within a week or so. But do discuss with your doc. I stopped PrEP at the third week with side effects. Restarted after a relatively short break. For me found taking with an Omeprazole did the trick. But we're all different; so your doc and/or his PA (if he has one) can guide you on ways to quell side effects.

As sick as I was for nine months I was fortunate not to have diarrhea as a symptom. What people are forgetting is that PrEP is HIV medication taken before the infection. It is very strong medicine. It will take your system a while to adapt to it. Imagine what it was like for the men who the early stuff? We have it easy in comparison. Walkers advice sounds good. Deal with the symptoms and either ride it out, or quit.

Hey guys, I just started taking PrEP a little over 2 weeks ago. A few days ago I started getting the shits, the runs, diarrhea. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so, when will it go away?!?!

If you didn't experience it in the first few days I doubt it related to PrEP. Some people are more regular than others, but getting the shits isnt uncommon and can have tons of reasons.

I personally haven't and havent had one side effect from PrEP. (knock on wood)

Intestinal disturbances are unusual with PrEP but they can happen. Try switching your diet around to include more brown rice, wholemeal bread, muesli, etc. Loperamide/imodium can be useful in the short term. The FTC component of truvada is pretty innocuous, but the old formulation of tenofovir can be a bastard: it's essential to have your kidney health monitored regularly. Absolute maximum interval of every three months. The hope is that the new formulation of tenofovir will have a lower side effect profile, but, of course, we won't know until it's out there being used as prescribed...

Thanks for all the help. I'm taking PrEP as part of a behavioral study from a clinic, which means I can get them to answer health questions a lot quicker than I can with my own doctor. They gave me some diet suggestions to help with the stool and also recommended taking Calcium supplements. On the down side, they said it could last 4-8 weeks. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Thanks for all the help. I'm taking PrEP as part of a behavioral study from a clinic, which means I can get them to answer health questions a lot quicker than I can with my own doctor. They gave me some diet suggestions to help with the stool and also recommended taking Calcium supplements. On the down side, they said it could last 4-8 weeks. I'm hoping that's not the case.

honestly I doubt its the PrEP causing your issues. About a year ago when taking no medication I got the shits for about a week and half before I went to my doctor. I felt great, just had the shits. They informed me that there was a really contagious virus going around that caused it, and that's likely what it was. Sure enough they went away on their own a bout a week later. Gastrointestinal bugs are pretty common, and given the timing, it doesnt make sense that PrEP caused it. If that was the case you probably would have seen it within the first few days.

congrats on being in the study and make sure you take it at the same time everyday and don't miss a dose!

honestly I doubt its the PrEP causing your issues. About a year ago when taking no medication I got the shits for about a week and half before I went to my doctor. I felt great, just had the shits. They informed me that there was a really contagious virus going around that caused it, and that's likely what it was. Sure enough they went away on their own a bout a week later. Gastrointestinal bugs are pretty common, and given the timing, it doesnt make sense that PrEP caused it. If that was the case you probably would have seen it within the first few days.

congrats on being in the study and make sure you take it at the same time everyday and don't miss a dose!

You may be right, regardless it's always good to add more fiber to ones diet :)

And thanks, I already have other daily medication that I've been on since I was a kid, so adding one more pill isn't difficult for me. I've been on it since October 5th and haven't missed a dose and have taken the pill consistently within a 30min window which the doctor said was fine. Other than this issue, which may or not be a side effect, I haven't had any issues with the drug.

Other thing to try is a small pot of natural yogurt every day to help replace the bacterial cultures in your gut that the diarrhoea will be stripping away...

Other thing to try is a small pot of natural yogurt every day to help replace the bacterial cultures in your gut that the diarrhoea will be stripping away...

The doctor actually said to stay away from dairy :/ But I do love froyo lol

Guest RAWGUYUK

Just out of curiosity, is the Prep medication any more toxic or heavier in dosage than a standard poz medication would be? Or are you put on a similar dosage to someone who is already poz?

PrEP is two of the drugs of a standard first line combination. The difference comes in that many of us taking the two drugs who are already poz may already have experienced a level of damage sufficient to make the two drugs no longer an option for us. It's why my general recommendation to someone newly diagnosed is to get on meds as soon as possible. HIV starts causing damage almost immediately and the sooner you can stop the little fucker, the better the chances of the drugs working.