Went to the doctor for an annual physical and all I got was a positive HIV result

UPDATE:

After a week long break from here (not my choice, made for me. But this is not the place to air that grievance) I figure it's time to update on starting the meds.

The doctor opted to put me on Atripla. I'm blessed enough to have health insurance which covers all but a $50 copay - and thanks to the largesse of our friends at Bistrol Meyers-Squibb, my copay is covered as well.

I work a graveyard shift, which my doctor thought might pose a problem with how the medicine works, but so far it hasn't. I generally go to bed as soon as I get home from work, so I take the pill then. So far I haven't noticed any of the possible side effects like vivid dreams or inability to stay asleep. When I wake in the afternoon, I feel fine.

On the two days I was off during the past week (Mon & Tues) I kept to the same schedule of taking the pill (anywhere between 8 & 10 am) as the other days and noticed no major side effects aside from a little light headedness (buzziness on day 2) and a bit of fatigue in the afternoon (day 1 and which went away after a short nap).

I'll be interested to see where my numbers are when I go back to the doctor in June versus the first week of February.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

After a week long break from here (not my choice, made for me. But this is not the place to air that grievance) I figure it's time to update on starting the meds.

The doctor opted to put me on Atripla. I'm blessed enough to have health insurance which covers all but a $50 copay - and thanks to the largesse of our friends at Bistrol Meyers-Squibb, my copay is covered as well.

I work a graveyard shift, which my doctor thought might pose a problem with how the medicine works, but so far it hasn't. I generally go to bed as soon as I get home from work, so I take the pill then. So far I haven't noticed any of the possible side effects like vivid dreams or inability to stay asleep. When I wake in the afternoon, I feel fine.

On the two days I was off during the past week (Mon & Tues) I kept to the same schedule of taking the pill (anywhere between 8 & 10 am) as the other days and noticed no major side effects aside from a little light headedness (buzziness on day 2) and a bit of fatigue in the afternoon (day 1 and which went away after a short nap).

I'll be interested to see where my numbers are when I go back to the doctor in June versus the first week of February.

dont know how long you have worked for your job, or if its an option, but that sounds like a great time to get FMLA, or a workplace accommodation for a different schedule

I work for a major market network-owned television station. It is sometimes stressful and bears watching how it affects my numbers in the future, but at the present time I'm not terribly worried, especially since I have yet to see any major side effects from the Atripla.

Good to hear!

On thing to bare in mind is that if the doctor gave you a specific time you should take it, he's based that on a standard 9-5 job, with a five day work week. If his concept is "take it with breakfast," and you have breakfast at 10:30 PM, take it at 10:30.

Their guidelines of "take it at the same time every day" are really more about developing the habit. The drugs don't follow the Cinderella effect and go POOF out of your system in 24 hrs and 1 minute.

You can modify your drug schedule to fit your actual REAL life.

If the real life schedule is half a day away from the doctor instructed time, move the drugs four hours at a time for a few days, until you get it where your need it.

Of the message spewed out by rote "Take the drugs as the same time every day" delivered by the doctor, the important part is "TALE THE DRUGS at the same time EVERY DAY" People always put the emphases on the time. It is far less important than the Every Day part of the message.

And even then, you'll occasionally miss a day. It happens - you're human. If you remember later, take it. If not - oops you missed a dose. Don't beat yourself up. 95% compliance is their stated goal. I usually somehow miss one dose a month, on some crazy ass day with a wacky schedule. It has never effected my viral loads.

I generally take my pill right before bed, which with my varying work schedule can fluctuate anytime from 7:00 - 10:00 in the morning. On my two "weekend" days last week that I took it at roughly the same time (I went to bed at about 2:30am one day and midnight the next) I did so because I was a little afraid of taking the dose early (by 7-9 hours). Would that have posed a problem?

You should try to take it within a couple (2) hours of the time. Atripla can make you a little "dizzy", that's why its suggested to take before BED. I took it for about 4 years, now on Complera. With any, if you "miss" dose by 12 hrs, you are supposed to skip it and take next scheduled dose.

• 2 months later...

Just got the results back from my 3 month blood draw.

From the looks of it, I am now what's considered "undetectable". Went from a VL of 7070 in late February to <20 in May. Research I've done online indicates <50 is more or less the accepted level for being " undetectable ."

I've been taking Atripla since mid-March.

I have a doctors appointment Monday to confirm the results.

I really want to thank those of you who encouraged me to get on meds right away. It was definitely the right advice.

Just got the results back from my 3 month blood draw.

From the looks of it, I am now what's considered "undetectable". Went from a VL of 7070 in late February to <20 in May. Research I've done online indicates <50 is more or less the accepted level for being " undetectable ."

I've been taking Atripla since mid-March.

I have a doctors appointment Monday to confirm the results.

I really want to thank those of you who encouraged me to get on meds right away. It was definitely the right advice.

Congrats! now go and get some men! haha

From the looks of it, I am now what's considered "undetectable".
Great news.

As you probably know the definition of Undetectable is that the viral load is below the threshold the test can measure. What number used is dependant on the test. The most common in North America is below 40. In the UK that seems to be 50. The test used in the Partner study use >200 as the their descriptor of UD. With the newest test, undetectable is below 20. Looks like you've got results from that one.

I'm going to suggest playing it safe for a few more months. You've only been on the meds for three months. The best recommendation for guys selecting an Undetectable Pozzie is that he's been UD for a minimum of six months. I can take a little longer to reach undetectable in the seminal and rectal fluids than in the blood plasma. That six month suggestion was set by the research that led to the Swiss Statement in 2008. The longer you maintain an UD viral load is the greatest predictor of you continuing to remain undetectable into the future (assuming med adherence etc).

But reaching that milestone is defiantly worth a celebration. Maybe a new Nasty Pig jockstrap, or a Cum Guzzling night at a glory hole.

Edited by Poz1956

• 2 weeks later...