HIV Conspiracy??? Has anyone heard this crap?

Shame on you! For a moment, that made me think, "HOLY SHIT! Did I really miss a beloved genius's death?" LOL. :-D

OMFG! I didn't even realize I did that. Ladies and gentleman, you have witnessed a fine example of how much faster my hands type than my brain actually works. Forgive me rock n roll gods for I have sinned.

That's actually supposed to be Kurt Cobain, not Keith Richards. I must have typed Keith instead of Kurt and just kept it going without thinking of who's name I am typing.

And in case you're wondering, I do know the difference between Keith Richards and Kurt Cobain. I'm young, but I'm not that young!

A large portion of news stories, YouTube videos, FaceBook pages, and just about anyplace discussing HIV, that allows comments is littered with HIV denialists. It's probably the same few dozen people using a million different names. I just hope there aren't too many people with HIV that take it seriously.

I had a Poz friend who was diagnosed with HPV caused rectal cancer. The doctor recommended operating, removing it, and doing a colostomy (poop re-routed to a bag in your pants). He allowed his sister to talk him into "alternative therapies." One was such obvious pure quackery I can't see how anyone would fall for it. Long story short, when the alternatives didn't work, the cancer had progressed too far for an operation. He died with a fist size hole of rotting flesh in his ass. It was a worse than the rectal cancer picture shown for five frames in the NYC Health "It's Never Just HIV" ad campaign. (A horrible example of "modern" fear based HIV prevention campaigns.)

I remember Poppers being theorized as a cause for GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency). It was a reasonable suspect, because it as something that a lot of Gay men used, and straight people didn't. But it was ruled out very quickly.

Poptronic: Gift suggestion for your friend next Christmas -- a tin foil lined baseball cap!

Tiger: Shame on you for staying up all night Christmas Eve, with your naked lubed butt pointed at the fireplace!

Errr, ummmm, ahhhh. I guess Santa would consider it a real change of pace from the usual cookies everyone leaves out. Milking him, instead of a glass of Moo beside the biscuits. XMas must be such a stressful time for that unaging guy. It's good that you helped him relax, before getting on with the rest of his rounds. Is the jolly old elf a power top? How's he hung? Cut or Uncut? Big cummer? Did he leave you other presents, or just coal in your stocking, and a load in your ass? Am I going to get on the "Naughty" list for even thinking these questions?

:grin:

Edited by Poz1956

He's actually a zombie.

Or the drugs just reanimated his corpse.

A large portion of news stories, YouTube videos, FaceBook pages, and just about anyplace discussing HIV, that allows comments is littered with HIV denialists. It's probably the same few dozen people using a million different names. I just hope there aren't too many people with HIV that take it seriously.

I had a Poz friend who was diagnosed with HPV caused rectal cancer. The doctor recommended operating, removing it, and doing a colostomy (poop re-routed to a bag in your pants). He allowed his sister to talk him into "alternative therapies." One was such obvious pure quackery I can't see how anyone would fall for it. Long story short, when the alternatives didn't work, the cancer had progressed too far for an operation. He died with a fist size hole of rotting flesh in his ass. It was a worse than the rectal cancer picture shown for five frames in the NYC Health "It's Never Just HIV" ad campaign. (A horrible example of "modern" fear based HIV prevention campaigns.)

You know, I believe in alternative therapy... but some of these alternative therapies are mainly good for last resort use. For example, there was this apricot seed "cancer cure and preventative" shit going around facebook a little while ago, and I decided to check out the facts for myself. According to the ACS, the National Cancer Institute did a case review of an estimated 75,000 cases that involved using Laetrile (active ingredient in apricot seeds believed to be the miracle cure). Of all those cases, only 93 cases were submitted with some form of "positive" results, and only 6 had significant shrinkage to the tumours. I gave this information, as well as a link, to someone I know who supports this apricot "cure," and his answer made me laugh- "I don't believe them. They're all part of the conspiracy." (maybe not verbatim, but it was to that effect)

It's amazing how the internet has gone from being a great tool for information, and the conspiracy crazies have banded together harder than any church has. I've had numerous people send me links to forums with pictures that "prove" their stories (usually a nondescript photo of generic equipment with no markings), and I've also had a fair amount of poorly/un-sourced book/pamphlet PDF files sent to me. Things ranging from alien conspiracies to mind control; it's usually a crock of shit, the "mountains of evidence" provided. Yet, fuck loads of people buy into this lunacy. I remember one guy sending me "proof" of some government experiment, and the PDF he sent was a FOIA response from the Ministry of Defence; and it was more along the lines of reporting they had no records regarding the information in the original FOIA request. Apparently, this passes as "proof" to most conspiracy theorists. It makes me feel ashamed that I have to share the title "conspiracy theorist" with these morons. I'm only a theorist! I'm not some blind believer! At least I don't try to convince others with zero proof... right? God, people are dumb.

I had a Poz friend who was diagnosed with HPV caused rectal cancer. The doctor recommended operating, removing it, and doing a colostomy (poop re-routed to a bag in your pants).

Errr, ummmm, ahhhh. I guess Santa would consider it a real change of pace from the usual cookies everyone leaves out. Milking him, instead of a glass of Moo beside the biscuits. XMas must be such a stressful time for that unaging guy. It's good that you helped him relax, before getting on with the rest of his rounds. Is the jolly old elf a power top? How's he hung? Cut or Uncut? Big cummer? Did he leave you other presents, or just coal in your stocking, and a load in your ass? Am I going to get on the "Naughty" list for even thinking these questions?

:grin:

A colostomy bag? That's a very difficult thing to deal with and I'm not surprised if anyone, even those who think logically, would be enticed by some alternative medicine that would eliminate the possibility of having a bag.

As for Santa, we never had a fireplace so he never showed up. I'm beginning to doubt his existence.

Six months of playing with "Alternative Therapies" made all the difference. The cancer grew to inoperable proportions while his sister enforced quackery.

He'd probably still be alive if he'd had the colostomy. I miss Dave!

Edited by Poz1956

I prefer the term "complementary" therapy to "alternative" therapy. Complementary therapies might make you feel good for a while, whereas using "alternative" therapies... well, I date from the early eighties in HIV terms and everyone I've known who's relied on "alternative" therapies is dead. Sure, I'll add some ginger to my tea when my stomach is bothered or hit the mung beans when herpes acts up, but these are complementary to the pharmacist's "marines". They'll help a little with symptoms, perhaps, but for the big guns, go allopathic/conventional, and I say that as a pagan: if we weren't meant to know about allopathic medicine, we wouldn't. I can set up a pain block that lasts about three days in an arm affected by a rotator cuff injury, one of the most painful non-operable injuries I know of, but I'd be the first to say "take the nice codeine/morphine".

• Upvote 1

This reminds me of all the anti-vaxers out there that insist MMR causes autism. You can provide all the source material needed for someone to realize that, maybe just maybe they need to reevaluate things but often there is nothing that will change their minds.

I'm not a conpiracy theorist in the least...But!

Does anybody want to wager when the current group of HIV meds like Atripla come off their patents that the pharmaceutical companies will start claiming that they aren't nearly as effective as their latest and greatest drug regime is? My Atripla costs $23,000/ yr (I'm insured and only pay $75/30 days) but when generics are available, you bet I'll go on it, at least to screw with the obscene amounts they charge.

Guest JizzDumpWI

They might be right though. They might be wrong. I understand your statement, but speculation is just that. Atrypla has competition already.

To the whole set of conspiracy ... really not too different from chasers. Or climate change denialists.

Generally what happens is companies produce a slightly re-formulated version that is "better" then the previous. New combination = new patent & doctors choose "New and Improved" over the old one.

That's pretty much how it works. It's business, and they need to do business bullshit if they want to stay I business. I'd just prefer healthcare to not be business. It fucks up a LOT of people's lives.

The downside with generic drugs is that they aren't always as effective. I have taken various prescriptions over the years, mostly generic, and some name brand. Many of the generic meds I've taken work well, but I've had a good amount of them that were also ineffective. Binding ingredients, manufacturing processes, and quality control of ingredients all factor into how well generics work. Contrary to what some would believe, not all generics are created equally. The downside is that most generic manufacturers create the drugs just to get in on the revenue, while the rest create a quality pill/capsule/etc.. What sucks is when you don't get to choose what generic you take, and the pharmacist/chemist gives you different generics each time you go (I've had that happen).

Hopefully the generic drugs for HIV medication won't have this problem. Considering what's on the line with these meds, they should take it much more seriously; but you never know. Fingers crossed!