Question about being sick before going on meds

I've FINALLY got a prescription to start taking meds (diagnosed in January). I am picking them up tomorrow because the pharmacy I go to doesn't have Stribild in stock so they are ordering them.

I am coming down with something that feels like it's either something in the way of a bronchial or sinus infection. I'm not really worried because I have always been prone to getting both. What I realized is that in the four months since my diagnosis, I haven't had a very great period of time that I've felt truly healthy. I have had a recurring cough that keeps coming and going. And now, there's this.

What I am wondering is: has there been anyone on here who felt this way, like they were constantly sick, before going on meds? Did the meds make a difference in your immune system?

My numbers when I got blood drawn back in February were 70K viral load and 700 CD4. My doctor put me under the impression that 700 CD4 was a good number and means that my immune system is strong. But I haven't felt that strong, just constantly sick. Am I reading too much into this? Or do meds make a big difference?

I've FINALLY got a prescription to start taking meds (diagnosed in January). I am picking them up tomorrow because the pharmacy I go to doesn't have Stribild in stock so they are ordering them.

I am coming down with something that feels like it's either something in the way of a bronchial or sinus infection. I'm not really worried because I have always been prone to getting both. What I realized is that in the four months since my diagnosis, I haven't had a very great period of time that I've felt truly healthy. I have had a recurring cough that keeps coming and going. And now, there's this.

What I am wondering is: has there been anyone on here who felt this way, like they were constantly sick, before going on meds? Did the meds make a difference in your immune system?

My numbers when I got blood drawn back in February were 70K viral load and 700 CD4. My doctor put me under the impression that 700 CD4 was a good number and means that my immune system is strong. But I haven't felt that strong, just constantly sick. Am I reading too much into this? Or do meds make a big difference?

You are just having a psychosomatic reaction the knowledge that you are HIV+. You Probably "feel" like you are sick when in reality you are pretty much in the same health you were before.

PS: I am very healthy and have had an annoying cough for the past month. I just went to my doc, and he said it will go away, and hes right. The body is amazing at fixing itself.

A 700 cd4 count is VERY normal for many people, your immune system is just fine right now, and going on treatment will keep it that way. As far as your cough you mentioned before you smoked, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that many of your respiratory and sinus issues are due to smoking. All my friends who smoke are constantly coming down with minor respiratory and sinus issues.

Edited by wood

You're doing fine. I was also diagnosed in January. My CD4 was 400 and my viral count was 1.8million. I am awaiting the results from my test two days ago to see what the new CD4 and VL is after taking Stribild since March 10. Everyone will be different, but I have had no side effects on it. I was told to eat right before I take it, so I have it right after breakfast. It's the opposite of Atripla, so I'm told..

You sound exactly like I did a little over two years ago. My numbers were almost identical and I was sick all the time. It started with the "fuck flu" which I got about 3 weeks after infection. I've never been so sick. It had me down for a about 2 weeks. I got better but never fully well. Fatigue was terrible and I got that cough you mentioned. I felt better at first on meds but I was taking two meds for the first six months just to be sure I got to and stayed undetectable. Then the meds made me sick too. Sorry to say it but I was sick for months. Part on and part before meds. My doctor said the same thing about me having strong immune system. The way he explained it the fact that I had a strong immune system was actually making me feel sick since all of my energy was being consumed by the battle going on inside me. He did tell me that only 10% of us get this sick. Most guys don't. But, once we dropped the Issentriss, I began to feel better within 30 days. I still have anemia and fatigue, but knowing my viral load has remained undetectable for nearly 2 years makes me feel better than anything. Im taking Complera which I am doing ok with. Maybe Stribild will be easier on you. Stick with it.

Firstly, recognize that you've been feeling under a lot of stress lately. Your other, most recent thread is a testament to that. And under stress people are more susceptible to little bugs, so maybe you are coming down with something. Or you could just be feeling crappy because of the stress. And of course there's the "every cough means it's something serious" worries of a newly diagnosed guy always has.

Secondly, your body is working very hard right now, at fighting off the virus. There are literally billions of HIV copies being made every day. Your CD4 count of 700 is good, and right in the normal "healthy" person range. But of course since a lot of CD4s are being consumed and destroyed during viral replication, your your system is working overtime making new CD4s to keep your counts as high as they are. All that takes a lot of energy.

A 70K viral load is smack dab in the middle of the classic 30,000 to 120,000 rage of a chronic stage person. You are past the astronomical levels of primary/acute phase. So your body is doing pretty good at fighting HIV, even without the meds.

The first few weeks on the ARVs may take some getting used to. You might feels some headaches, nausea, upset stomach, and diarrhea. As I said of "When does it become normal" thread, it doesn't hurt to have some generic Imodium, an extra package of toilet paper, and a bottle of your preferred tummy grumble reliever (Pepto, Malox, etc) on hand. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.

I'm cautious and do the Boy Scout "be prepared" thing, because I come from the old days when new meds took quite a toll. Most people I talk to say they have no issued with current generation drugs, so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Once your body gets used to the drugs, I'm sure your energy levels will return to near normal. Then charge on the Undetectable, though it may take you a few months to get there. Some people get there in the first month, others take up to six. Most are UD in 3 months.

Then start looking forward to that magic "UD for 6 Months" point! That will be "Yeeee - Hawww & Yaaaa - Hooo" ride em cowboy time. Sex is the best stress reliever ever invented!

You are just having a psychosomatic reaction the knowledge that you are HIV+. You Probably "feel" like you are sick when in reality you are pretty much in the same health you were before.

PS: I am very healthy and have had an annoying cough for the past month. I just went to my doc, and he said it will go away, and hes right. The body is amazing at fixing itself.

A 700 cd4 count is VERY normal for many people, your immune system is just fine right now, and going on treatment will keep it that way. As far as your cough you mentioned before you smoked, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that many of your respiratory and sinus issues are due to smoking. All my friends who smoke are constantly coming down with minor respiratory and sinus issues.

wood, this is about the sickest I've felt since being diagnosed. Before, it was an annoying and persistent cough, but now it's that dry hacking cough that feels like I'm getting stabbed in the throat with 5 knives everytime I cough.

True, the body does fix itself and that's how I always felt when I was neg. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape worrying because I knew that it would just heal itself. But now, being poz has me constantly wondering things like "is it going to get better? Is it going to get worse? How much longer? Is this going to land me in the hospital?" Etc...

I know smoking does a number on the respiratory system and I know, I know, I know... I need to quit for good, not just cut back. Once I get situated with Stribild, I am going to ask my doctor about prescribing Chantix to help me quit. Cold turkey has never worked for me, and I'm not a gum or patch or e-cigarette kind of guy.

You're doing fine. I was also diagnosed in January. My CD4 was 400 and my viral count was 1.8million. I am awaiting the results from my test two days ago to see what the new CD4 and VL is after taking Stribild since March 10. Everyone will be different, but I have had no side effects on it. I was told to eat right before I take it, so I have it right after breakfast. It's the opposite of Atripla, so I'm told..

newlypoz, how has Stribild been working out for you when taking in the morning? Most people have been advising me that when I start taking it, I should take it at night before I go to sleep. I would MUCH rather take it in the morning if I can. I could easily make it part of my morning routine- shower, brush teeth, take pill, eat breakfast, and be done with it. I really don't want to go through my whole day constantly telling myself "remember to take that pill later!" I can see myself forgetting to take it at night. I would rather do it in the morning and not have to worry about it after.

You sound exactly like I did a little over two years ago. My numbers were almost identical and I was sick all the time. It started with the "fuck flu" which I got about 3 weeks after infection. I've never been so sick. It had me down for a about 2 weeks. I got better but never fully well. Fatigue was terrible and I got that cough you mentioned. I felt better at first on meds but I was taking two meds for the first six months just to be sure I got to and stayed undetectable. Then the meds made me sick too. Sorry to say it but I was sick for months. Part on and part before meds. My doctor said the same thing about me having strong immune system. The way he explained it the fact that I had a strong immune system was actually making me feel sick since all of my energy was being consumed by the battle going on inside me. He did tell me that only 10% of us get this sick. Most guys don't. But, once we dropped the Issentriss, I began to feel better within 30 days. I still have anemia and fatigue, but knowing my viral load has remained undetectable for nearly 2 years makes me feel better than anything. Im taking Complera which I am doing ok with. Maybe Stribild will be easier on you. Stick with it.

Tiger, you have mentioned that your body had a rough time getting used to the meds. I am just hoping that once I get through the initial stages of getting used to the ARV's, I will start to feel healthier, like how everyone mentions on here that they have been undetectable for X number of months/years, and they have felt fine. Not only will this help me feel healthier physically, but also mentally.

Firstly, recognize that you've been feeling under a lot of stress lately. Your other, most recent thread is a testament to that. And under stress people are more susceptible to little bugs, so maybe you are coming down with something. Or you could just be feeling crappy because of the stress. And of course there's the "every cough means it's something serious" worries of a newly diagnosed guy always has.

Secondly, your body is working very hard right now, at fighting off the virus. There are literally billions of HIV copies being made every day. Your CD4 count of 700 is good, and right in the normal "healthy" person range. But of course since a lot of CD4s are being consumed and destroyed during viral replication, your your system is working overtime making new CD4s to keep your counts as high as they are. All that takes a lot of energy.

A 70K viral load is smack dab in the middle of the classic 30,000 to 120,000 rage of a chronic stage person. You are past the astronomical levels of primary/acute phase. So your body is doing pretty good at fighting HIV, even without the meds.

The first few weeks on the ARVs may take some getting used to. You might feels some headaches, nausea, upset stomach, and diarrhea. As I said of "When does it become normal" thread, it doesn't hurt to have some generic Imodium, an extra package of toilet paper, and a bottle of your preferred tummy grumble reliever (Pepto, Malox, etc) on hand. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.

I'm cautious and do the Boy Scout "be prepared" thing, because I come from the old days when new meds took quite a toll. Most people I talk to say they have no issued with current generation drugs, so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Once your body gets used to the drugs, I'm sure your energy levels will return to near normal. Then charge on the Undetectable, though it may take you a few months to get there. Some people get there in the first month, others take up to six. Most are UD in 3 months.

Then start looking forward to that magic "UD for 6 Months" point! That will be "Yeeee - Hawww & Yaaaa - Hooo" ride em cowboy time. Sex is the best stress reliever ever invented!

Poz1956, yeah stress is a bitch. I'm definitely having those "every cough is something serious" worries. I haven't gotten on meds yet and I haven't been living with this virus long enough to know how my body would and should feel once I get to the UD stage.

I am not worried so much about the ARVs. I have heard that most guys experienced very little, if any, side effects from Stribild in the beginning. I have a pretty strong stomach. Also, I have had some experience with ARVs before, some time ago I went on PEP after I had a regretful encounter with a guy of unknown status. I believe the drugs given to me at that time were Truvada and Sustiva. The Truvada made me slightly nauseous in the very beginning, but I have heard that Stribild is a cleaner drug than Truvada in that respect.