ASAP Answers needed: I know I'm HIV- but I need to know some stuff from you guys.

Hey all

So the last time I got tested was in 2012 (December) and it came out to be negative. I've been committed since 2013 now and I've been in great shape. Though I had warts up my ass, those went away. No allergies, infections or such like. I'm also energetic and my boyfriend got tested before we went for bareback sex.

My question: considering everything I've mentioned above do you think I'm just fretting over nothing? Please answer.

Oh and everyone I've slept with is HIV- too.

There is no way to know if someone is HIV- at the moment of having sex. When you get a test and is negative its tells you the person was negative 4-8 weeks before because of the window period that HIV tests have. It takes a while for the body to build up antibodies that can get picked up by the test. Actually, the likely way people who are going to give you HIV are the ones who tested negative a while back. People are most infectious when they are not on meds and after seroconversion.

As long as you and your bf are monogamous you should be ok. Otherwise everything is up in the air. If you want to make sure you don't seroconvert use rubbers or go on PrEP.

And the fact that my health is good and has been so even after I tested? Isn't that a good sign?

You are looking for validation here, when you need validation in a test. Just go get tested! NO ONE can tell you your status over the internet.

Not to rag on you, but you need to just man up and do it. You come on here saying you are HIV- but its been two years since your last test???? That makes no sense. You dont know, and you need to know. go get tested and don't wait so long in the future. it may be scary finding out, but its the responsible thing to do for everyone.

If you dont want to wait at all, and if you are in the US, you can get an Oraquick test at most major drugstores right now and know in 20 mins.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Warts don't "go away"... Without treatment the virus that caused them is still there. Next time they show up, get them treated at a good STI clinic. If you haven't had a full STI panel in the last six months, you're overdue. STI panel includes all the sexually transmitted stuff including HIV. If you're fucking bare, even with other purportedly "neg" guys; get a new test every six months. If you're going to the baths; get tested every three months. If you're having sex with a dozen partners a month; you might want to consider monthly testing.

HIV isn't the worst of the bugs out there; which is why regular testing is important. Monogamy is a rarely a sustainable practice. No matter what, get a full panel every year. Some STI's lie dormant (those warts are one) that on a routine check, will show up. Because you had them and they "went away"; were I prescribing a testing practise, I would go every 3 months so if those pesky things show up (you might not feel them); they can be effectively treated.

Warts don't "go away"... Without treatment the virus that caused them is still there.

Not exactly true. the virus will always be there no matter what. Its a strain of HPV it doesn't go away. Genital warts can actually clear themselves, however I have never heard of it taking 3 months, 2-3 years is more normal with no treatment, and an otherwise healthy person. During the initial infection they may grow, then stop. the clearing portion take a lot of time for them to fall off and go away completely, which is why treatment is always a good option.

And the fact that my health is good and has been so even after I tested? Isn't that a good sign?

Don't let lab tests fool you. Yes, healthy lab tests are a good thing; however, it doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. If you haven't been checked for HIV recently, get it done, and repeat every 3-6 months (whatever you're comfortable with).

Oh and we ARE monogamous

Hate me for being a sceptic, but I never believe this. I'm not calling your partner a liar, I'm just saying I would never take his word for it. If you trust him, that's all that currently matters in the relationship (regarding this topic). Even if you trust him, this is YOUR HEALTH we're talking about. If you value your health (which it appears that you do), then you'd be happy to just have that reassurance every time you get your negative results from the doctor. It's a redundancy, but it's much more accurate than getting a test tomorrow, and never thinking about it again until you have another partner. Trusting your partner is great for an emotional bond, but your body's health doesn't live off of trust. People lie, every day; some lie more than others, and some lie about their sex lives (even to themselves). It should also be noted that trusting someone should never imply that you avoid getting tested; trust is emotional, not physical. Don't get the two confused.

Also, as noted before, there are some STIs that can lay dormant, so routine testing isn't a bad idea.

Oh and everyone I've slept with is HIV- too.
You scare me. Everyone I ever slept with was HIV- too, including the man who pozzed me. He didn't know. Neither do you. GO GET TESTED. What are you afraid of?

Nice catch, Tiger, don't know how I missed that one. I've seen this attitude a lot too... just go get tested, HMR.

I wouldn't recommend the OraQuick. But if you do go that route, have someone with you. I wouldn't want to be alone when that test comes up positive. Bad plan. That is what I have against home tests. Plus the doctor or clinic will test you for all STI's, which often come in a package deal. With OraQuick you could have gonnoreah or syphillis or Hep C or chlymidia and it will continue to go untreated. Syphillis can kill you if you let it go and it has no symptoms past the initial infection phase. You might have it and think something cleared itself up. Go to a clinic.

I'm clearrrrr :D
I know you mean no offence, and that you're just happy that your test came back Negative.

Just be cautious about what language you pick. Why use a simplistic, non-specif term? Are you afraid to say HIV Negative? If you want to state you serostatus clearly, say " I tested HIV Negative on May 21, 2014."

If you're "clear" does that mean I'm Foggy or Opaque? "Clear" boarders very closely on the dreaded "Clean" that so many "Might be Negative" guys use. Since they're "Clean," all us Poz guys must be "Dirty," right? I know it sounds like semantics, and like I'm being overly sensitive. For just one hour, pretend you test came out the other way. Spend that hour reading hook-up profiles. At the end of that hour, give some thought to how innocent "Clean," "Unclean," "Healthy," "Unhealthy," "Diseased," "Infected," "Turn Offs," and all the other "Not Me" language feels. Now think about reading that kind of shit for 28 years, like I have.

I AM glad your test came back Negative. I truly am! Despite the talk you see elsewhere on the board, one of the biggest fears most Poz guys have, is that they might pass the virus on.

It turn out that with an undetectable viral load, we basically Can't transmit HIV. But if you ask the average "Serostatus Unknown" guy, most are 100% certain that guys who know they are Poz are responsible for all the new cases. When in truth a UK and a US study showed about 54% of new transmissions are from guys who caught it between a couple of weeks, and three months ago. About another 30% are from guys who have had it longer, but haven't been tested, so they don't know they are Poz.

The best recommendation is that even IN a monogamous relationship, you should get tested at least once a year. There is a fair bit of evidence that being in a "monogamous" relationship is fairly high risk for HIV transmission. That's not about lacking trust - that's just what the numbers are showing.

If you haven't had the explicit "negotiated safety agreement" discussion with your partner, perhaps it is time. Some testing centres and HIV service organizations offer couple counselling to facilitate that discussion.

Guest JizzDumpWI
I'm clearrrrr :D

WTF??? Your profile shows "don't ask, don"t tell". You write "I'm clearrrr" whatever the fuck that means. I think your whole post is bogus. The responses are spot on, but you have yet to truly engage in the dialogue. You seem to be playing us...