Asymptomatic responsibility

So I hooked up with a guy over a week ago. He claims he hasn't fooled around with anyone since. He also tested positive for gonorrhea because he was experiencing symptoms. He seems to think he got it from me, but possibly from someone he played with before me. He tested negative for everything else.

I'm not into bug chasing or get off on the idea of diseases at all. This to me is troubling because I'm completely asymptomatic. No discharge, no soreness, nothing. My doctor says that stuff is often hard to find on a test, particularly if there is no discharge to swab and such.

So I'm not sure what to do. I don't know whether I have anything. I don't feel like I have anything. I certainly don't want to pass anything on. But I don't want to be celibate either.

Any advice or experience with being asymptomatic for STDS other than HIV?

My doctor says that stuff is often hard to find on a test, particularly if there is no discharge to swab and such.

You need a new doctor.

NAAT gonorrhea tests are very sensitive and most likely to pick up the very minimal amounts of bacteria if any is present. Just make sure you give them a 'dirty' urine sample. Preferably first morning urine, and if not, >1 hour wait time. As you are it, check your mouth and your butt if necessary. Your doctor is probably thinking of a bacteria culture which is indeed hit or miss. NAAT checks directly for the DNA of the bacteria so is a lot more precise.

The fact that you are asymptomatic is irrelevant. I've had both gonorrhea and chlamydia in every hole of my body and it was always a surprise to test positive because I didn't have any symptoms. Actually I think it's mostly BS that even doctors talk about 'having symptoms' to get anything checked. Having asymtompatic STDs is extremely common, and everyone should get checked if there has been sexual activity that warrants it.

Yeah, my doctor didn't even know what PrEP was...I'm feeling really divided. He's a good doctor, rated in Milwaukee magazine, and has been a family doctor for years. But when it comes to gay men's health issues..he hasn't taught me anything I haven't learned on my own. His advice is "always use a condom" and sort of leaves it at that. He's not judgmental and doesn't make me feel shamed but I'm not sure his advice is always realistic or that he "gets it."

I would lookup your dept of health and see if they have like an STD clinic or something and then go there because your doctor sounds like a total idiot when it comes to GTBLT health. You should have been tested regardless of whether you were exhibiting symptoms, the fact that someone you were with caught it is reason enough alone to test you.

I have a doctor who is gay and I am so glad he makes it less anxiety ridden to have to ask about things because he does the asking. I get white coat syndrome so I have a hard time with anxiety in the doctors office so it makes my visits much easier when my doctor is all up on the latest gay health news and keeps tabs on the trends in the community. Like the last time I went he asked if I had ever had anal warts because that was something he was seeing moew of lately. Thankfully I could say nope. Not something I care to get either.

Guest JizzDumpWI
Yeah, my doctor didn't even know what PrEP was...I'm feeling really divided. He's a good doctor, rated in Milwaukee magazine, and has been a family doctor for years. But when it comes to gay men's health issues..he hasn't taught me anything I haven't learned on my own. His advice is "always use a condom" and sort of leaves it at that. He's not judgmental and doesn't make me feel shamed but I'm not sure his advice is always realistic or that he "gets it."

Check out STD Specialties Clinic on Holton ST in Milwaukee.

I have to agree with rawfuckr here... It sounds like you need a new doctor. Trying to test by swabbing for discharge is archaic. That's why there are urine tests to test for it.

A few years back, I had a situation very similar to yours. I was with a girl who called me and claimed she had chlamydia and it had to have been from me. I kinda called bullshit on her because 1) she had a reputation for sleeping around and 2) I had no symptoms at all, but I was now insecure about it. I went to a doctor late on a Friday afternoon and they weren't testing anymore that day. The doctor could see that I was anxious and didn't want to wait until the following week. She prescribed me the standard week regimen antibiotic for chlamydia and told me to just take it anyway, it wouldn't hurt me.

But there's no reason why your doctor couldn't order a standard urine test for chlamydia and gono. I'd recommend at this point just going to another doctor or a regular STD clinic.