First Time HIV Check-Up

• Moderators

My husband tried for 3 years to quit cold turkey. Chantix finally got him off of cigarettes although he did have one relapse after 4 months, but another week of Chantix took care of that. You will most likely have intense, weird, disturbing dreams; he says that is the worst side effect.

This is a pet peeve (i'm sometimes easily peeved). Why don't more physicians order the labs to be drawn at least a week prior so there are results to discuss at your visit?

I'm lucky in that the ID doctor I see did order my blood work for about two weeks out from my last appointment so that we could discuss it at my 3 month check up. Same thing for my November follow-up.

If you're in Houston and you have health insurance, I definitely recommend Dr. Tariq with Kelsey-Seybold clinic.

I'm lucky in that the ID doctor I see did order my blood work for about two weeks out from my last appointment so that we could discuss it at my 3 month check up. Same thing for my November follow-up.

Too often people forget that when it comes to being a patient - you are a customer. Asking questions and letting your physician know what you want are vital to receiving the quality care you pay for.

You can always ask your physician to place the order for these tests so that you can make the most out of your follow-up visits.

At this point, I just want to see a significant downward trajectory in the viral load and upwards of CD4. Undetectable would be great, but if the doctor tells me I went down to let's say 500, 1000 or even 2000 viral load from 70,000, I would see that as a success. My CD4 was 700 last test so as long as I'm still at least that, that would be great. Results should be in this week.

If your CD4 was at 700 before taking meds, then you have nothing to worry about.

Mine is 240 - a bit low. But my last test was undetectable, and I haven't even started the meds. Even with a low CD4 count, I'm in better health than most guys my age, and I actually outperform 2/3rd of my unit on the fitness test (I work as a part-time Army reservist). CD4 means squat to me. And my doctor seems to agree.

The "standard" for undetectable in the US is less than 20 copies/mL. Some labs may still quantify as less than 50 copies/mL.

The standard in Canada is < 40 copies/mL, though I was told my clinic may switch to the 20/mL standard soon.

Got the test results today... UNDETECTABLE!

Big weight lifted off the shoulders. I was real happy when the doctor called me with the results, I forgot to ask him what my CD4 is, but he said everything looks fine.

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement!

GREAT NEWS !! And how's the muscle/bone aches this week... I'm guessing BETTER too

:)

Got the test results today... UNDETECTABLE!

Big weight lifted off the shoulders. I was real happy when the doctor called me with the results, I forgot to ask him what my CD4 is, but he said everything looks fine.

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement!