Pain in Joints from ARV's

Two days ago I woke up with pain in random joints in my body- left hip, right elbow, right knee and the worst one- the right ankle and right foot, making walking very painful. The pain has persisted for the two days.

Though I'm not trying to jump to any conclusions, based on the research that I've done, I have a strong feeling this joint pain is coming from the tenofovir component of the Stribild I am taking. I have had no effects from Stribild yet, but I think this may be it poking its ugly head out at me.

I tried calling my doctor today to get his opinion, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I know tenofovir is a common component in many ARV's, I wonder if any other guys have experienced joint pain from their ARVs. If so...

- What was your experience with it?

- Did it come and go, or did it become a chronic problem?

- How did you combat it?

- Any advice anyone can share from their doctor?

I work as a bartender and need to constantly be on my feet, so if this joint pain in my foot persists, I'm going to be miserable at work. Hopefully there are some answers that may help me combat it.

dont jump to conclusions. Two days of joint pain does not necessarily mean its from the tenofovir. Lots of minor infections, and other medications can cause short term joint pain. You did the right thing in calling your doctor, but i suspect that he will just tell you to give it a few more days and see if it subsides.

Exactly... don't jump to conclusions & don't do so much research. I know you are still relatively young (in comparison to myself) but aches & pains come & go, you may have not realized that you aggrevated it some how... Wait a few days.

dont jump to conclusions. Two days of joint pain does not necessarily mean its from the tenofovir. Lots of minor infections, and other medications can cause short term joint pain. You did the right thing in calling your doctor, but i suspect that he will just tell you to give it a few more days and see if it subsides.

Exactly... don't jump to conclusions & don't do so much research. I know you are still relatively young (in comparison to myself) but aches & pains come & go, you may have not realized that you aggrevated it some how... Wait a few days.

exactly, Im 30, and healthy and I have had days or sometimes a few days where it seems like my body is falling apart. Sometimes I can attribute it to something like a long run, other times, I have no damn clue. Especially being on your feet often, you may have twisted or contorted yourself in a certain way and not even realized it. I've done that too, only to have what seems like awful joint/muscle pain for days after.

wood, it's interesting you mention it could be an infection causing it. I didn't know infections could cause joint inflammation. I'm just getting over (with doxycycline) an infected pubic hair that the doctor declared to be folliculitis (we speculated it may have been syphilis). The folliculitis made my lymph glands in the groin area swell up. This pain started the morning before I just started the doxycycline. That could potentially be another explanation.

Imagine the aches at my advanced age !! My Dr suggested YOGA. No more muscle aches & Yoga is great for being a Power Bottom...

exactly, Im 30, and healthy and I have had days or sometimes a few days where it seems like my body is falling apart. Sometimes I can attribute it to something like a long run, other times, I have no damn clue. Especially being on your feet often, you may have twisted or contorted yourself in a certain way and not even realized it. I've done that too, only to have what seems like awful joint/muscle pain for days after.

wood, it's interesting you mention it could be an infection causing it. I didn't know infections could cause joint inflammation. I'm just getting over (with doxycycline) an infected pubic hair that the doctor declared to be folliculitis (we speculated it may have been syphilis). The folliculitis made my lymph glands in the groin area swell up. This pain started the morning before I just started the doxycycline. That could potentially be another explanation.

yeah the last time I took doxycycline it gave me a low grade fever, and made me feel "off" the entire time I was on it. Your body is used to a certain amount of bacteria and antibiotics can really throw that off.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/doxycycline-side-effects.html

if you look, joint pain can be a side effect of doxycycline. Still don't look into this too much. if it gets worse or persists, then you want to investigate further.

The body is pretty amazing in its ability to heal, sometimes it just needs time. This past winter I had a cough that lasted about a month, no shortness of breath, no other symptoms, no real reason for it to exist, (I dont smoke, I exercise, etc) but it was still there. Took about a month before it disappeared on its own.

yeah the last time I took doxycycline it gave me a low grade fever, and made me feel "off" the entire time I was on it. Your body is used to a certain amount of bacteria and antibiotics can really throw that off.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/doxycycline-side-effects.html

if you look, joint pain can be a side effect of doxycycline. Still don't look into this too much. if it gets worse or persists, then you want to investigate further.

The body is pretty amazing in its ability to heal, sometimes it just needs time. This past winter I had a cough that lasted about a month, no shortness of breath, no other symptoms, no real reason for it to exist, (I dont smoke, I exercise, etc) but it was still there. Took about a month before it disappeared on its own.

wood, I don't think this is the doxy doing this. I woke up feeling like this three days ago before I started taking the doxy.

Either way, I just hope whatever it is goes away soon and isn't major. I have a tendency to suspect the worst when these things happen.

I had to blow a few friends off earlier that I was supposed to go play soccer with this afternoon. I felt like such an old man telling them my joints are messed up and cannot run today. Hopefully resolved soon.

wood, I don't think this is the doxy doing this. I woke up feeling like this three days ago before I started taking the doxy.

Dont rule it out. Doxyclycline has a 15-25hr half life, and as it built up in your system it may have just reached a critical mass at day 3.

Guest JizzDumpWI

pop, you did cross into a new decade recently, don't rule out that each year brings new pains... Meds may have nothing to do with it...

pop, you did cross into a new decade recently, don't rule out that each year brings new pains... Meds may have nothing to do with it...

"Jizz," thanks for bringing up the new decade ;-) .... I like to think I'll stay 29 for the next few years...

I just find it odd that all these joints started bugging out on me at the same time. It's not just the foot. The foot just happens to be the worst one. Hopefully it all blows over soon, whatever it is.