Anyone have tips for getting loads in Fire Island Pines?

JakeTurner

I'm headed out the Pines one weekend this month (haven't confirmed which one yet). I haven't been to Fire Island all that much. Just wondering what tips people have to get loads out there.

I know about the Meat Rack, but never actually been to it the few times I've been out to the Pines. What times is it most active? I know the National Park Service patrols it - are there certain times of the day that are more prone to a patrol? I've heard of guys stripping down naked at the Meat Rack. How common is that? Where do they stash their clothes? Is that more of a nighttime thing or a daytime thing? Unfortunately I'll be staying down by Sail - so getting to the Meat Rack is a long walk - want to make sure I go at the best times.

I've heard conflicting things about apps like Grindr or Scruff. Some people say that's how people hookup out there these days. Other people say if you need an app, you're doing it wrong - sex is all around you. BUT I'm not the most gregarious or flirty person. I guess the apps make sense for me? Which apps would be best for a stocky guy? I'm assuming Scruff. In the City Grindr is all about perfect bodies. I'm assuming I won't get much action with Grindr. Is Growlr used much out there? It used to drain my battery really quickly, so I uninstalled it. Is it worth using on Fire Island?

Any other tips for getting dick and loads? Any regular parties? Any places other than the Meat Rack that are particularly cruisy?

As a "stocky" bear type, you might do better on the Grove side of the rack. I haven't been since 2010, having moved south to Florida. But back a few years, before the Park Rangers were patrolling, any time of day or night was good... I remember taking a break from the midday sun, strolling (trolling?) through THE RACK and getting BRED... returning to the beach with a damp leaky hole to rinse out in the ocean !! One of the few things I really do miss of summers up north (back in the day)

• Administrators

There was a major fire in the Meat Rack. 17 fire departments responded…

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/brushfire-being-fought-in-fire-island-pines-1.8993659

That's probably going to be a major blow to the sexual activity - especially since the fire is "suspicious". Now they're probably gonna say that sex in the Meat Rack = fires.

True, careless smokers are a clear and present danger on fire island. Everything is wood, houses, boardwalk, trees, greenbelts. Have seen a many just flick it still lit. The grove community has started putting out sand buckets to lessen the problem.