Just Started Prep Today! What Now?

curiousone

You guys can read my thread about what a headache it was to actually get PrEP but I just had my bottle delivered fully covered by insurance and doctor coupon covered the co-pay.

I just took my first pill now. I have no idea what to do...What have you guys done that are on PrEP?

You have to give it time to build up in your system (I think two weeks but I've heard one)

Then lube up and find a dick to sit on. Have shoot inside. Repeat

Be the whore you've always wanted to be. Hookup with who you want without worry of status. Go the the baths. Go to a bareback party. Enjoy!

• Upvote 3

Been on PrEP for 6 months now. No side affects. At month 3 you need to return to your doc for a new round of blood tests to ensure it is not having an adverse affect on your kidneys. Take it daily for 2 weeks to ensure you are fully protected and then take as much raw cock as you desire!  :P I made sure I was protected before I made a visit to my local bath house. Have Fun!! ;)  :)

• Upvote 1

Advice in UK is take it for one week and you're protected.

Apparently it reaches near 90% efficacy in just 3 days.

2/3 weeks sounds a long time for it to reach proper levels... but if that's the advice...

Strange how the advice differs massively though?

I think the difference in advice comes, at least partly, from trying to write patient information without separating the sexes: truvada takes longer to embed itself in vaginal tissue than in rectal tissue. There's also an element of caution... Note that truvada isn't officially available for PrEP outside of trials.

There's also the fact that it's only made in a single dosage: it's going to reach protective levels faster in someone who weighs 100 pounds than in someone who weighs 200 pounds. Some of the early HIV drugs were dosed according to bodyweight, for example ritonavir: I used to take 800mg a day, but knew guys bigger than me who were taking 1200mg.

Err on the side of caution would be my advice...

been on it since march....never had a any side effects here except for some super vivid, crazy ass dreams for 2 weeks (kinda miss them actually)...Otherwise haven't noticed anything else.

I take it at bedtime as it's just easy to remember to pop it right before I go to sleep. I don't pay anything either between insurance and the drug company.

If you are open about taking it, be warmed there will be those people (including friends) who will call you a whore and think you're going to be slutting around and putting you down for it.

Personally I think every active adult and teen (gay or straight) should be taking it..why not? 

• Upvote 1

truvada isn't officially available for PrEP outside of trials.

Just a note, knowing that bearbandit is in the EU and not knowing where curiousone is:

In the United States, Truvada for PrEP passed clinical trials (proving safety and efficacy) several years ago and gained Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval in 2012.

Here it is no longer an experimental drug, and this is why it can be covered by insurance plans, all of which have blanket exclusions for experimental treatments.

Next time I open a bottle I will look at the patient prescribing monograph (unfolds to newspaper-size sheet), but I don't recall reading or being given any official advice about weeks-to-effectiveness from San Francisco Department of Public Health/UCSF (major PrEP research center) or Kaiser Permanente (my private healthcare provider).

After proving to yourself that you are using the medication on a reliable daily basis, go out and have fun!

Edited by fskn

... find a dick to sit on. Have shoot inside. Repeat

heh, so its like birth control for guys, he can cum inside you all he wants but you won't get knocked up.  sounds very hot and very liberating.  would be nice to talk to a doc about it, but talk about an interesting conversation!   basically saying I want potentially multiple men cumming inside me until further notice...

Personally I think every active adult and teen (gay or straight) should be taking it..why not? 

I think the straight part is a bit much, but I do think almost every gay man should be on it.  

Anyway as to your "what now" 

1) wait a week before risky sex

2) make sure to take it daily, dont miss! and try to take it at the same time. A pill box helps 

3) have fun!! but be aware of other STD's and get regular checkups 

4) still stay away from PNP, and people who do it.  Its just bad news, and often causes people to miss medication