Taking A Prep Vacation. Thoughts/advice?

makingwords

Been on PrEP for about 9 months straight and starting to feel classic Truvada toxicity side effects like neuropathy, headaches, general weakness, sleeplessness. I want to take a break from PrEP or at least reduce my dosage from 7 pills per week to 4 per week. Has anyone done this? rawTOP you're kind of the expert on playing around with PrEP dosage so I'm hoping you may have some advice.

This article about the iPrEx study says that 4 doses per week offers almost the same level of protection as 7 pills: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/iPrEx_OLE_results_1667_25922.shtml

A subsequent study of the iPrEx data used statistical modeling to estimate that four doses a week reduced the risk of HIV by 95 percent...

Also, I got fucked and bred by a top of unknown status exactly 8 days ago. Is it too soon for me to drop the Truvada? I have been taking it every day since and was fully protected at the time we had sex.

My doctor told me that it takes 7 days of prep pills to be fully effective, so getting loaded 8 days ago you should be safe to have a break.

She said that it a drug that you can go off and on, but remember the 7 day rule. There are periods that I won't be taking it eg whilst on a boat cruise with the rellies, or when I get hip replacement surgery, where sex will be one of the last things on my mind.

• 1 month later...

Been on PrEP for about 9 months straight and starting to feel classic Truvada toxicity side effects like neuropathy, headaches, general weakness, sleeplessness.

Statistically speaking, such side effects are rare. Since most use of either of the two drugs in Truvada has been in combination with additional drugs, for treatment of HIV in positive patients, it's likely that side effects will be even less frequent when Truvada is used by itself, and by negative patients. The upshot? Please be sure to discuss your symptoms with your doctor, if you haven't already.

There are case reports where, for example, doctors saw initial kidney problems, backed off the drug completely, and then had patients resume treatment with no problem.

I want to take a break from PrEP or at least reduce my dosage from 7 pills per week to 4 per week.

The iPrEx-OLE study of course found 100% protection in patients with blood levels of Truvada consistent with 4-day-a-week dosing, but I heard Dr. Robert Grant himself recommend, just last year, that PrEP patients continue to take Truvada daily.

You'll be encouraged by the early results of the IPERGAY trial, which uses episodic dosing: 2 tablets 2 to 24 hours before sex and 1 tablet every 24 hours until 1 day after the last sexual encounter.

Please, please rely on your doctor instead of on online advice -- and always disclose missed doses and sustained breaks in Truvada usage. Frequent HIV testing with a 4th-generation antibody test becomes especially important when there is sexual risk and less-than-daily Truvada usage.

Edited by fskn