The One Guy

Sharp-edge

I agree with what Dan Savage has said, as summarized above.  No one is 100%.   But there are many (not a lot, normally, but many) men who will meet enough of the things your soul needs to become a possible lifetime mate.  And for some of them you will the that person for them.  And you hope you meet at the time when you are both open to a possible relationship.  Sometimes that sounds like impossible odds when your are single and looking but enough people, gay and straight, end up in content to very happy relationships that we know that it reasonably possible.

I met my husband at point when I was completely (okay 95%) content by myself with a family of friends.   The surprising thing you find is that the essential factors you are trying to "match" to 70 -85% probably AREN'T what you think they are.  Certainly all the superficial stuff -- looks, career, education, taste --- is less important then people think, especially when young.  It's more about a similar way of looking at the world, of how you like to spend a free day, or how much time you need alone, of how you fight and how you resolve fights, or the importance (or not) of family and whether or not you make each other laugh and can enjoy each other's company during a 12 hour layover in New York, or stuck in traffic for 3 hours. 

The hardest thing, I think, is to try to stay open to the possibility of something happening as much as possible so you don't miss good candidates along the way.

As for monogamy -- what I say is that I must have EMOTIONAL monogamy.  He should make new friends and may flirt, but I need to trust that my husband is not out there carelessly letting any new romantic primary relationships start to take shape.  But personally I don't know any long-term (say 5 years plus) gay male couples who haven't come to some acceptable agreement between them that allows some sex with other people.   I think men aren't well designed for monogamy and chafe under a rule that requires it.  If you both have been upfront about it and figured out any rules you need to be comfortable (which also can change over time) , there is little more relationship risk involved in one of you having sex with someone else than there is to you having dinner with someone else.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
Guest FinalDL2021

I just got out of a marriage ( to a women) but eventually, I would like to settle down with the right guy, and yes, he would have to be my other half.

On 5/10/2015 at 11:17 AM, NLbear said:

I have been single for too long and too much of a slut to go into a monogamous relationship now. But I do would like to have a best buddy to whom I can connect with and have a relationship with. He can be a slut too. I don't care.

Living together with someone? I think not. I appreciate my private space too much.

Unless there is a gorgeous huge dicked 30s top who wants to breed me every night. I then may reconsider ?

That sounds like it'll be a good relationship. I prefer being with someone who can love me, and dominate me sexually and make me happy to be owned by them.