Straight Male Friendships

I have had a straight male friendship for over 30 years.  There has not, and are not, any romantic or sexual feelings involved.  He was the first person I came out to.

Our feelings are much deeper than friends.  We both agree they are familial, basicly brotherly.  We both believe we're connected in some way, and even more so than brothers.  We have no problems hugging and saying "I love you," to each other.

Quite often, we wonder if there are feelings somewhere between brotherly and romantic/sexual.  Again, I have no such feelings for him.

Have any of you had longterm friendships--over ten ears--with a straight guy and have brotherly or some feelings stronger than that for each other?

Longterm friendships are unusual these days.  I would definitely think that such  friendships between a gay and straight guy are unbelievably rare.

Tell us if you do.  I'm not interested in hearing about hidden feelings.  Just tell us about true, deep friendships.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Guest CuriousDallas

I find I have closer relationships with straight buds than gay gays. I’m bi and I get a sense most gay guys wanna have sex with me, which may or may not be true.with straight buds I know it’s non-sexual and non-threatening. That said I did go to a spa that’s not ostensibly gay but where gay stuff happens with four buds who are bi and/or gay. We were curious to see what it was about, what the guys were like and what happened there. I could never do that with my straight buds as that tips into the “gay stuff”. In short, there stuff that’s cool for my straight buds and stuff that’s cool for my gay buds. I feel comfortable floating between the two and I would seriously do anything for any of my buds, gay or straight...so even though I haven’t known any of them for nearly 30 years I get where you’re coming from.

I have one as well, in fact I have known this friend and his family for 30 years, this year! When we met in 1989 we were in our 20's, and having a weakness for blonds I did have an attraction to him. However, once we started college and became roommates, those feelings vanished and we became good friends. After college, no matter where our lives took us, we always made an effort to travel to see each other. Now he and his family are in an adjacent town. 

We can be completely candid with each other and discuss anything. When I came out to him he had no problem with it, nor did his family. In fact he is always inquisitive about my life and what it's like to be gay. We have shared our deepest, darkest secrets with each other and know we will always be there for each other no matter what.

I have other straight friends as well, but nothing as long term and as close as this friendship is. I'm very grateful for it. 

• Like 1

I never had a best friend who was gay (of course there were gay 'friends' but never best friends). Through the various stages of my life I always had a best friend who happened to be straight. Male mostly but sometimes female as well. The male ones I always wanted to have sex with (I had a crush on them) which of course never happened and which I kept hidden from them. They all knew I was gay and that was never a problem. In fact I think they opened up more to me about personal stuff than they would have if I was straight too. I wasn't a 'threat' and they knew I kept my mouth shut and wasn't going to blab.

There is no such person in my life at the moment, wish I had. But for a change I wish I had a best friend who is gay, My thought is he will be able to relate more about stuff straights don't really understand. Non-sexual, as sex seems to get in the way of the friendship once you end up in bed together.

Once you get older it is hard to make new 'best friends' it seems. Best friends always seem to mean you have a long history together growing up. 

• Upvote 1

I definitely would also like a good gay friend.  But I've never had one either.

It would be fun to have another gay guy to go out with or go on vacation together.

I also have another straight friend whom I've known for 20 years, and he's always on the lookout for the types of guys I like.  He has no problem saying another male is hot.  That could be because he's European, and they are often more sexually liberal.