Differences between US and UK lingo

yunghungtop

I was shocked recently when I heard Mr Burns casually drop the word "wanker" on the Simpsons after meeting U2.... I think that word is actually more offensive than American's seem to think!

I think American's say that they're "pissed" when they're upset (is that right?). Well, over here if you're "pissed" then you're generally quite happy ('cause you're drunk!).

Other than that, all snogging, wanking, shagging and otherwise seems to have been covered! Funny how American words seem to work their way into our language, but it doesn't seem to happen much the other way around...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at school in the UK, 35 years or so ago, assfucking (US) was known as "bumming" or "bumfucking". Or, as Bart says, "buggering". A bottom boy was called a "bumboy". These terms still seem to be around, although, as with many things, we have increasingly adopted US terms. "Jack off" used to be a commonn British term for "jerk off" - "jacking" for "jerking". I think that "wanking" is still the favoured term in the UK.

Mind you, in many British accents young people seem to have found a happy medium between "ass" and "arse". And "spunk" rather than "cum" still seems to be holding its own, although mostly used for the stuff rather than the action.

I also love the Australian/NZ terms of "spooge" for "cum" (the noun, rather than the verb) and "root" for "fuck".

When I was at school the term "silly bugger" was quite widely used to mean just a bit of a silly person, and I have a sharp memory of the time one of my peers said, "There's nothing silly about being a bugger".

"Chav", "Scally and "Ned" all seem to be exclusively British, and I'm not sure about any US equivalents except for "trailer trash" - I'd be intersted to know about US alternatives.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having fucked a few Brits, they still fuck the same. I fucked a Brit ambassador at a gay resort. He was on vacation there for a week, met him at the bar. We fucked for like 3 days. I loved chatting with him with his Brit accent and the stories of meeting so many world leaders. He had a gay lover who stayed in England and did not travel with him.

Another term I hear sometimes on British TV is "trouser-tightening", as in "trouser-tighteningly good". To me that conjures up the image of a guy getting a hard-on in his pants. Is that what it actually refers to?

Not heard that myself in a sexual context so i suspect it's more likely to do with putting inches on the waistline. I prefer your version!

As for British speak, I learned the hard way that 'pants' generally tends to mean undergarments (they prefer the word trousers to mean outerwear). I actually made the situation worse by pointing out that by definition, all slacks, trousers and shorts are pants, but not all pants are slacks, trousers etc. Pants in the UK is basically our equivalent of panties, but in a less gender-specific usage.

Lingo differences are not confined to cross-border examples. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I found out that their city has SEVERAL terms that I had never even heard of anyplace else on the east coast. The TV show JAG always produced a riot of laughter every time someone said the words "JAG officer" because 'jagoff' is the Pittsburgh equivalent of wanker. My neighbor never spoke to me again after I called her Mrs. Nebshit (which is what my partner called her, I thought it was her real name)... turns out neb in Pittsburghese means nose, nebby means nosey, and nebshit means nosey bitch. I don't even want to know what she called my New York ass after I yelled "Hi Mrs Nebshit!" all the way across the street, lol.