Spam in Private Messages

drscorpio

• rawTOP pinned this topic
  • Administrators

I've taken a pretty close look at what was happening. I've deleted the accounts of the people who were spammers (which should delete the messages). I've also devised a SQL query that helps me identify people who are spamming through the message system, which I'll check periodically. I won't go into the details of the patterns I noticed, since I don't want hackers knowing what not to do. But the attack seemed to come from Ukraine.

I also noticed a problem where it seemed a few users (@Botsub, @mplsnegpig4poz & @bbcunthole) have had their account passwords compromised and weird things were happening as a result. I've changed those users passwords – they'll need to do a "I forgot my password" to reset their passwords. That should solve the issue of hackers using their account provided the hackers don't have access to their email account as well.

Edit: Actually, I'm not confident that those users had their passwords compromised. The more I look at it the odder it looks. It may be a glitch in the system where, when I delete a user, stuff goes into the moderation log that doesn't belong there. I had banned the IP address used by those users. That's reversed. But I can't restore their passwords, so they'll need to do a "forgot password" (sorry about that, assuming it was a random glitch that caused me to modify your password.)

• rawTOP unpinned this topic
  • Administrators

I should mention that some of you who had spam sent to you… Yesterday I deleted the spam, but then created a different problem where you weren't able to use messaging. That was corrected this morning after about a half dozen of you sent support requests.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.