Jump to new content

Slamuel

When I’m following a thread, and somebody posts something new, there is a marker left at the first post that I haven’t read. If I click into the post, surely I should be taken to that marker? However I’m not.

Normally that isn’t a problem, but when the topic is over multiple pages, and the last-read post isn’t on the last page, it’s hard to find where I was up to without working forward or back through all the pages.

Is there a way to jump to that marker when opening a topic?

• Moderators

Click on the little word balloon icon to the left of the thread title. 

image.png.cab096d0017cc0e4b48557932550f7fe.png

When it looks like the one above with the green outline, you have posted in the thread. When looks like the red one, you have not. 

• 1 month later...

On that topic: I realize there's almost certainly nothing you can do about this *now*, RawTop, but as you've mentioned you're working on broader upgrades to the site, with presumably some custom coding:

One of the cardinal rules of interface design is to NOT use one symbol, icon, etc. to accomplish two different things depending on context (unless that context is very obvious). But the underlying forum software here breaks that guideline in one very big way.

The little "speech balloons" next to a specific thread, if clicked, take you to the first unread post in the thread (and as DrScorpio nicely explained, the solid balloons mean a thread you've participated in, the hollow balloons mean a thread you haven't posted in.

But those same balloons, if you click next to an entire forum or subforum marks the entire forum or subforum "read". So if you're clicking along, pulling up new material, and you hit a subforum, poof! all the responses now appear "read" and finding new stuff means going through each thread looking for the point where you left off - if you can remember.

So, if you do rework the forum "base" yourself, I'd suggest something else. Perhaps the "mark as read" symbol for a forum could be the speech bubbles, but with a checkmark superimposed on it - or something similar, making it visually clear that this isn't "go to unread" the way it is within a forum?

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.