Isn't the Rona lockdown an amazing opportunity to get rid of STD's in the entire population?

Guest Appletree

14 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

I think it depends on how it's framed. For instance, I agree that having sex, for people judged to be of the age of majority (and that's a can of worms that needn't be opened, for the purpose of this particular discussion) is essentially a human right: no one should have the power to tell person A of the age of majority that he can't have sex with person B of the age of majority. (With the obvious exceptions, such as legitimately incarcerated individuals, and even then, I'm open to discussing requiring the option of conjugal visits for inmates with partners, if that can be managed in a way that doesn't compromise prison security.)

But elevating it to a "need", in my view, shifts the focus. We need food to live; if a person simply hasn't got food, it's a reasonable thing to demand that the government provide food programs that will meet that need. If a housing unit doesn't have access to clean water, it's a reasonable thing to insist that the water utility, no matter who owns it, extend its services to that unit. And so on. Needs, in my view, are things that, when not met naturally, can be compelled, via taxation of the community, if necessary.

The problem I see with defining highly desirable things that make us happy (like sexual contact) as "needs" is that there's no end and no limiting principle. It's possible to calculate how much it costs to reasonably feed an individual. It's possible to calculate the costs of extending water infrastructure, or building subsidized or free housing, or providing health care coverage. But sex? Aside from deciding how you compel individuals to provide sexual contact with another person, how much is sufficient? If a guy wants sex three times a day, do we have to supply that much, to meet his "need"?  What if he insists that only certain types of partners meet his "need"?

Mind you, I'm aware that you may not accept the dividing line I draw between "want" and "need". But then it's incumbent on you to tell me where YOUR line between the two is. How do YOU define "need" in a way that distinguishes it from mere desire?

No, I'm not going to split hairs with you about the semantic difference between 'want' and 'need'.

My point on the topic of this thread was and is that people have sexual desires and will act on it, as they have always done.
That's why I don't think the OP's idea will work.
Being realistic and accepting that, I merely wish all the money and effort that is apparently available to combat Covid-19 now also should also be invested in vaccines and cures for HIV and the different STD's.

I also, on a side note, feel very strongly that your line of reasoning can be misused concerning gay rights and the rights of LGBTQI asylum seekers.
That's why I reject your entire definition question.

When allowing the distinction you make:
What's to stop society taking the stance that discrimination and persecution of LGBTQI people can be halted by themselves by merely not coming out of the closet or refrain from having homosexual sex?

Perhaps you would be so kind to either adres my serious concerns or get back on topic. Which was - to remind you - about temporarily refraining from sex so HIV and STD's can naturally be fought and be for forever conquered.
I also don't feel our squabbling about the difference between 'need' and 'want' will convince any horny human being to not have sex. They where bored with this two days ago and have probably gotten laid already. 🤔

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 10:53 PM, Guest Appletree said:

If people are following the quarantine at all then virtually all of the STD viruses can't spread and are therefore vulnerable. Couldn't we take that opportunity to detect and treat them? They wouldn't be able to evade detection through latency periods. We could theoretically wipe out the vast majority of the viruses out there, and then fuck our brains out with a little less to worry about for some time.

Am I missing something?

Sadly the local public health authority here (responsible for sexual health, sit testing and treatment etc.) essentially shut-down during the pandemic. I am beyond frustrated by this decision and disappointed to say the least. 

I was hoping the exact same thing. Gradually I have had the wind taken out of my sails for a variety of reasons. My local public health response is one of many reasons and those actively seeking and keeping bugs alive is another. ugh!

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

• 5 weeks later...

On the contrary, it made STDs in the general population worse. 

1) More people fucking were eager to make up for lost time, and hence less inclined to use condoms since "we've not been doing anything for months with anyone else, no way we have any STDs". 

2) Less people were going to see doctors for any STD symptoms or even to get their regular screenings. 

In addition to all the rest of it, a certain segment of the population will have resisted any notion of getting a preventative vaccination against HPV, Hep A or B, or anything else, because they had become by-God anti-vaxxers on principle and would never get another vaccination of any kind because ‘freedom’.

These same people will of course fail to see the irony in the fact that they’ll be taking a needle whether they want it or not once they actually get an STD.

Humanity will never be rid of STDs because humanity will never be rid of idiots.

• Upvote 2