Rude Dudes

Guest Dauthisoul

Guest Dauthisoul

So this is something that happens to me, not often but often enough to pose this question.  How many of you just encounter rude people on hoopup sites? Like.. blatently rude. I got a message from someone on A4A asking if I wanted some company and when I wasked for what it was the offer to get some head and to be rimmed.. neither of of which Im really all that interested in getting. Giving sure.. but not getting. I saod it wasnt for me and got some snarky ass message about my loss and taking too long to answer. I guess 3 or so minutes is too long. Anywaya.. anyone else get this often?

It happens. Some guys feel rejected if they get turned down and retaliate so they leave the situation with what they believe is the upper hand. The only other option is to ignore if you're not interested, but I think that make you look bad. My approach: Be honest, and rise above their insecurities if they react... 

Yes, very frequently. The part about taking too long to answer is particularly irksome - I’ve had guys get pissed and caustic if I haven’t texted a full and complete reply in under 10 seconds. Sometimes that’s just not possible, because a) I’m not a speed-texter, b) I may be just recovering from a rough fuck, c) I may be juggling text conversations with two other men as well, and d) the poppers I used to help take that last big cock have blurred my vision and I can barely see what I’m texting in the first place. I also have a special dark place in my heart for guys who open a conversation out of nowhere with the single demand “pics”. I have now taken to responding with images of guitar picks, ice picks, toothpicks, etc. - I have created a selection for that sole purpose.

On several threads here lately, I’ve been disappointed to see responses from various members that in some way suggest that rudeness id an acceptable part of our online discourse. They say things like, “Why complain? He’s giving you a filter to use to reject him” or “Assholes are always going to be assholes, just ignore them” or “He has a right to say what he wants - you’d be pissed if someone complained about something you said” or (predictably) “Faggot cumdumps deserve to be talked to like the trash they are”.

I say that all of these points of view ignore the fact that the hookup app environment we’re engaged in is no less a social space than the interior of a club. The regrettable trend toward bad behavior behind the mask of internet anonymity is doubly damaging in this case, because when we are seeking intimate sexual connections we must necessarily expose some of the most private and vulnerable parts of our natures. In this circumstance, it is not acceptable for any of us to go about recklessly and rudely striking at people. If you wouldn’t say it in a club, you shouldn’t say it on an app. It’s as simple as that.

Now, indeed, a good many of us could stand to grow some thicker skin and not respond with acute butthurt over every perceived slight, but to my mind the onus is primarily on the sender of the message, and not the receiver, to ensure that offense is not offered.

Who cares, you may ask, about being polite? We all should. It’s the difference between a world where we interact as enlightened individuals and one in which we sit around in the dark snarling at each other.

• Like 1