Bouncing Emails

• Administrators

I've written something to clean up all the problem emails. So you may start seeing warnings that you need to update your email address.

I was getting a lot of bounce notifications because quite a few of you had emails that went bad over the past 10 years. Either you stopped using the email that you used to sign up (a hard bounce), or your email inbox is full (a soft bounce). There are so many bad emails that if I did a mass email I'd get massacred because the various mail services would hate me for sending a lot of bad emails all at once. So I'm just going to discover them as they trickle out through "transactional" emails – for example if someone emails you through the site, or if you signed up for email notifications for threads, and those threads update.

Hard bounces require you to revalidate your email address. Soft bounces simply turn off emails for a while and if they continue then they turn into a hard bounce. There is a third type of problem – if your email provider doesn't like us for some reason. Those will be handled as soft bounces.

There are a quite a few different email blacklists. Those tend to be the reason why email providers decide they don't like us. I'll be monitoring them and trying to get off them if my server gets listed. I encountered one today that's affecting email to lycos.com and mailcity.com. I caught it pretty quickly so I think we're fine now. But the good part is that I'll now know about those problems pretty quickly.

In addition, anyone who's banned from the site for 8 weeks or more will have their email address hard bounced, so when they come back to the site they'll need to revalidate their email.

If you see a notification that you need to validate your email when you go into chat – that's a separate database and validations here don't count there. For now, don't worry about those messages – I'm still working on that system.

And lastly, I 'm also monitoring the percentage of emails that get marked as spam on GMail. Apparently the threshold you need to stay below is 0.5%. In the last week I've just had one day above 0% and it was 0.2%, so we're fine there for now as well.

If you want to help, mark Breeding Zone emails as "not spam" whenever you have the opportunity, especially if you're on one of the big mail providers like GMail, Yahoo!, or Outlook.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
51 minutes ago, PNPRICK said:

Hey rawTOP! 

I hope you're well.  I need to update my email address as follows:

Please delete my former email [ hubhead@nyc.rr.com ].  And Update me to hubhead@icloud.com .

Many thanks from a grateful member !

E l i o t

You can fix this yourself.  Scroll up to the top of the page. In the upper left corner, you should see your username with a drop-down arrow. Click on the arrow, and choose Account Settings. You can change your email there. 

• Like 1

• rawTOP unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.