It's a Sin.

tj87

Russel T. Davies is back on form with a five-part series called It's a Sin, about four young men who share an apartment in London in the 80s as HIV is beginning to spread.

It is genuinely touching. Thought-provoking. Tear-worthy. I can only imagine the heartache and pain felt by those who made it through at having lost so many friends and lovers.

It's worth a watch.

• Like 5

Definitely worth watching. I love the attention to detail in "It's a Sin". There are real things that I'd read about at the time and forgotten, like the crematorium that refused to cremate bodies of AIDS patients for fear of contaminating the air. Now it sounds crazy, but back then everyone was scared. Something else in the series that stuck a memory was mortgage companies wouldn't lend to gay people because no life assurance policy would cover them. Many people had to lie to get mortgages or get ones that didn't require life assurance cover, which cost more. Apart from the storyline, being an 80's geek,  the detail in the sets is spot on - decor, clothes, technology, and cars.  

We watched the first episode live, and streamed the rest over last weekend. It's getting rave reviews, and deservedly so. 

• Like 3

Yes, I remember applying for a mortgage in the 90’s, and although I can’t remember exactly how it was worded, there was a question on the application form that basically asked if you were gay.  I didn’t want to lie, and asked my (very sympathetic) mortgage advisor what I should do.  She said that if I answered truthfully, it would be rejected, and my credit rating would bomb, but that if I decided to withdraw the application at that point, my credit rating would also bomb: Catch 22. The only options left were to lie, or just ‘fail to complete’ the application... I chose the latter- a typically British solution, taking maximum advantage of a ‘grey area’.

The things we put up with back then... hard to believe now in 2021!

Mind you, it was only a couple of decades before that when you couldn’t apply for a mortgage at all if you were a woman!

When people moan about the state of the world today, it’s things like that that remind me that we have made progress, and that for millions of people, things are better now than they have ever been.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Mind you, it was only a couple of decades before that when you couldn’t apply for a mortgage at all if you were a woman!

When people moan about the state of the world today, it’s things like that that remind me that we have made progress, and that for millions of people, things are better now than they have ever been.

Here here! That's incredible. Also - you're fit af!

42 minutes ago, AirmaxAndy said:

There are real things that I'd read about at the time and forgotten, like the crematorium that refused to cremate bodies of AIDS patients for fear of contaminating the air. Now it sounds crazy, but back then everyone was scared. 

We watched the first episode live, and streamed the rest over last weekend. It's getting rave reviews, and deservedly so. 

I really loved it. So moving. And you're right - all those little details that I never knew about. How it manifested with Colin was an eye-opener. I had no idea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tj87 said:

Here here! That's incredible. Also - you're fit af!

I really loved it. So moving. And you're right - all those little details that I never knew about. How it manifested with Colin was an eye-opener. I had no idea.

Watched 1&2 episode, my heart went out to Gregory/Gloria and all thd burning of his things, so sad.

At the moment Colin is my fave character.

• Like 1