How hard is it for a circumcised total top to catch HIV?

Safer

I hate to be critical but as phrased, this question really has no answer.

A circumcised "total top " who has sex with a handful of carefully screened partners, all of whom are on Prep or undetectable, has a much different risk than a circumcised "total top" who has lots of sex in bathhouses and cruisy public areas where multiple tops share cumdump bottoms. 

The most that can be said is that, very generally speaking, and with all other factors equal, (a) topping is less risky than bottoming and (b) circumcised men are at slightly lower risk than uncut men. So as far as those two factors are concerned, your risk is lower than it would be if you were a bottom or uncut.

That's all that can be said as to 'how hard it is" for you to get HIV.

4 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

I hate to be critical but as phrased, this question really has no answer.

A circumcised "total top " who has sex with a handful of carefully screened partners, all of whom are on Prep or undetectable, has a much different risk than a circumcised "total top" who has lots of sex in bathhouses and cruisy public areas where multiple tops share cumdump bottoms. 

The most that can be said is that, very generally speaking, and with all other factors equal, (a) topping is less risky than bottoming and (b) circumcised men are at slightly lower risk than uncut men. So as far as those two factors are concerned, your risk is lower than it would be if you were a bottom or uncut.

That's all that can be said as to 'how hard it is" for you to get HIV.

I don't go to bathhouses or have sex in public places. I have only barebacked a bf and a few one night stands here and there that said they were on prep.

I am trying to ‘read between the lines’ with your question. Are you saying you would like to explore more barebacking or riskier sex but are concerned about becoming poz? Just curious? 
     I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of taking prep before talking to a healthcare professional. As for the cost there are options to explore.

It’s good you are asking questions, keep going.

9 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

I am trying to ‘read between the lines’ with your question. Are you saying you would like to explore more barebacking or riskier sex but are concerned about becoming poz? Just curious? 
     I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of taking prep before talking to a healthcare professional. As for the cost there are options to explore.

It’s good you are asking questions, keep going.

Yes. I have no interest in going to bathhouses though and bloodslams are definitely out. I am just concerned what the likelihood of me getting pozed is or if it's highly likely I already have been.

Exceedingly difficult. 0.11% chance top contracts HIV from unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ partner. 

That means, on average, it takes 909 hookups as a top to contract HIV. And that’s 909 times with HIV+ detectable guys. 

However, I have a few friends that contracted HIV their first time having sex. All tops. But then there are people that have literally 10,000 hookups and are still neg.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

The CDC has a tool that will help you get an estimate of risk based on your sex choices and risk reduction practices:

[think before following links] https://hivrisk.cdc.gov/risk-estimator-tool/#-sb

Bottom line is that based on what you stated above, your risk is pretty low and the chances that you are currently HIV+ are slim to none (way less than 1 in 1000). That's assuming your BF is negative, of course. But it's extremely easy to find out: Just get tested already!

If you decide that your risk is low enough that you choose not to use PrEP, I'd strongly recommend getting regular screening for HIV and other STIs, especially if you play outside the relationship. Because (1) the others are much easier to catch than HIV, (2) they increase your odds of contracting HIV if you are exposed and most importantly (3) if you do pick up something, you'll be passing it on (whatever it is) until you get it treated.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Safer said:

I don't go to bathhouses or have sex in public places. I have only barebacked a bf and a few one night stands here and there that said they were on prep.

This isn't to spook you - as @viking8x6 noted, it's highly unlikely you are poz (get tested!) or at high risk for getting HIV. But just remember: men can lie, and guys can say they're on PrEP without actually taking it, or without taking it regularly enough to protect themselves. 

Relying on someone else's word adds another (unquantifiable) layer of risk, whether they're saying "I'm on PrEP" or "I'm negative". Most men probably are being truthful; and of those that aren't, some undoubtedly don't realize it (ie guys who say they're negative but they last had a test four years ago). So I'm not saying assume they're lying - but understand it's a possibility that what they say isn't actually true.